News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Early Assmann Pilot Badge with Name

Hello Guys,

My recent acquisition has finally arrived - an unmarked Assmann 1st Pattern Pilot. I'd loke to present it here seeking a little information as well. The badge has scratched into its reverse the Pilots name and unit. Can anyone supply me with ANY information regarding either the unit OR the pilot?? The inscription reads as follows on the wreath's reverse : " 6./ StG 51 " and "Lt. Amelung" Thanks for any info you may be able to furnish.

ERIC

[attachmentid=18040]

Eric,

As ever, your hunting has paid off.. As you know, I'm a sucker for these 'Assmanns', and this one has made my day. Very nice!

I've a little way to go but can't seem to find much on this unit. StG 51 was formed from StG 165 in '39. They flew JU 87B's and operated in France

there is no mention of the 6th Staffel, anywhere. Shall continue the search..

Eric,

As ever, your hunting has paid off.. As you know, I'm a sucker for these 'Assmanns', and this one has made my day. Very nice!

I've a little way to go but can't seem to find much on this unit. StG 51 was formed from StG 165 in '39. They flew JU 87B's and operated in France

Hello,

Mayby he was later transferred towards the Stuka-Geschwader 77 ? Iff so then you have a change that he had earned the following awards:

* DKiG : 24.11.2941 as a Oberleutnant

* RK : 15.07.1942 as a Hauptmann

Cordial greetings,

StG 51 was formed from StG 165 in '39. They flew JU 87B's and operated in France

Hello Guys,

A big THANKS goes out to John, Stijn, and Richard!! This is fantastic information you've supplied!

Wow, a RKT!! Since StG 51 was formed from StG 165 (JTW's information and verified in his last link) and Amelung was a Lieutnant in StG 165 in '37 (correct?) AND this Assmann Badge is indeed from that time period('37-'38ish), just has me believing that this has to be his badge. The absence of any information on the 6th Staffel of StG 51 has me stumped as well. I could not find any info on this Staffel either. Please, if anyone has any information on this Staffel I would love to hear it! By the way, did anyone find another Pilot with the family name Amelung? I did not. Thanks Again!

ERIC

According to Tessin:

Sturzkampfgeschwader 51: Peacetime base (only III. Gruppe) was Wertheim. (Stab, I. and II. had become Stab, I. and II./StG 77 before the war; III./51 was also assigned to this Geschwader).

Gruppe III./51 became II./Sturkampfgeschwader 1 in autumn 1940 (not until winter 1941/42 according to the Feldpost number overview).

Deployed in Poland in 1939; still in the East in September and then transferred to Luftflotte 3 in the West.

• 4 weeks later...