News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Turkish Star...some Info Required.

M Hunter

Hello Gentlemen.

This is my first post on this forum. I was hoping to find out a bit more information on the Turkish Iron Star. Here is one that is currently on ebay. Is it a good one? I know there were painted versions as well as enamel versions. Where the painted ones all Turkish made?

Thank you

M Hunter.

Hello Gentlemen.

This is my first post on this forum. I was hoping to find out a bit more information on the Turkish Iron Star. Here is one that is currently on ebay. Is it a good one? I know there were painted versions as well as enamel versions. Where the painted ones all Turkish made?

Thank you

M Hunter.

Hello M. Hunter:

The Ottoman "Iron Half-moon" is probably good from what the photos reveal (although it is difficult to tell from the poor quality of the photos). The painted versions were actually awarded. The enamelled versions were pieces commissioned by German and Austrian recipients. I believe that all of the painted pieces with this type of pin were made in the Ottoman Empire. Unfortunately, prices for these items have been steadily on the rise and there is a healthy market in copies now (at least for the enamelled pieces). I do not know if the painted pieces are copied now, but I would assume that there could be copies about as there is enough of a market incentive for criminals to do so. Also, the original painted pieces are not well finished and would be relatively easy to replicate convincingly.

There is a Turkish/Ottoman section on this website and you could search for more information there as this topic has been covered extensively.

Best regards,

"SPM"

Guest Rick Research

Being painted and appallingly bad quality doesn't necessarily indicate Ottoman issue-- ther WERE cheapo ugly German versions made that way too.

I have no idea about painted ones-- have never seen anything but the deluxe German and Austrian after-market ones.

According to Eturin, there are fake flat painted stars out there-some of odd colors too.

We know from intact groups shown in the past that the BB&Co. versions were war time pieces. I suspect they were either private purchase (as Kleitman said) and/or issued by government contract by the Ottomans. The Germans/Austrians made 70% of the equipment the Ottoman forces used, so it isn't illogical to suppose that there was also an order for better quality stars.

Its worth pointing out that none of the groups in the Museum in Istanbul have painted ones. They are of course mainly officers groups. Either officers were given better quality pieces, or they bought better ones.

Here is a thought.... Did the Turks actually give the Germans/Austrians etc the star? Or did the men just get a certificate and the German high command had to find stars for the men to wear?

>if that is the case, maybe the Germans could not get the Stars from the Turks and had to order them from BB and co....

Many thanks for this info!beer.gif I always thought the enamelled BB&Co ones were for German Officers!

Good Q from Chris....i have no idea but hopefully some of the experts can answer this one! cool.gif

Matt

P.S. Having some problems using this forum...i am a new member as of yesterday! but i cannot seem to acces my own profile or even use the search engine!violent.gif any clues?

Thanks

Matt

Edited by M Hunter