News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Tanzania

Megan

• Replies 59
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

Hi Megan, thanks for sharing these. You don't see Tanzanian medals much at all.

Are there any awards / Orders still issued specifically for Zanzibar?

Would be interested to know given Zanzibar's 'semi-autonomous' status and the fact that Zanzibar had a very rich history of awards - the absolutely stunning Order of the Brilliant Star for example.

Gavin

• 5 months later...

TANZANIA.

There is a more senior Order to the Kilimanjaro, this (I believe) is the "Mwenge ya Jamhuri ya Mungano wa Tanzania"

(THE NATIONAL ORDER OF THE STAR OF THE UNITED REPUBLIC OF TANZANIA)

Instituted in 1964, I would guess that the Sash is the same width as the Kilimanjaro (89mm?) of green/blue/yellow/black/yellow/blue/green.

Based upon the information below, the widths would be 13/13/6.5/24/6.5/13/13mm.

I cannot confirm the widths, as I had the Kilimanjaro 3rd class wrong (I had this with a smaller black central stripe, than shown on page 1 of

this forum), so based upon that width upgraded to 89mm, the Kilimanjaro would be 13/13/6.5/24/6.5/13/13mm ?.

When I was in Tanzania & in Zanzibar (one year after the union of both) I found no information about Tanzania.

Some years ago I bought some Tanzanian ribbons from an ex-Rhodesian Policeman, but he would not part with his complete set of Rhodesian Ribbons.

JDM

TANZANIA,

My memory is also fading, (as well), I have just read about the official width of the Kilimanjaro (page 1)

so The National Order of the Star of the United Republic of Tanzania would be (based upon the above):

88mm Sash: dark-green (17mm), blue (15mm), yellow (7mm), black (10mm) & reverse.

-many thanks to Jean-Paul.

JDM

As promised some time ago, here are images of the ribbons of Tanzania that I have in my collection.

Refer to the list previously provided in this thread.

Jean-Paul

• 2 months later...
    • 1 year later...

I have been updating my Tanzania section, mostly getting a ribbon chart into order.

Also, I have added the Army and Police versions of the Medal of the Republic (Nishani ya Jamhuri) which are quite interesting in that not only have they different ribbons (a Tanzanian specialty), they have a completely different design for the medal itself from the civil version already shown in this thread.

Army Medal of the Republic:

Police Medal of the Republic

(Which has got the suspension a bit folded over, it ought to hang like the army one!)

[Images courtesy Militaria Agent]

I started reading this thread at Post 1, as I'd never seen the posts before and all I can say is that if the Order of the Torch of Kilimandjaro was designed by Spinks and Sons, the Tanzanians got robbed! " Uuuug-lee", to quote The Lion King. Megan, your two posts are quite attractive however. I applaud the notion of different medals for civil and military service or merit too. If its worth doing, its worth doing well! Sad how few awarding authorities these days seem to feel that way, or do but let themselves be over ruled by the penny pinchers in the [fill ion favourite useless government department here]. :banger:

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

And the Medal of Long Service (Nishani ya Utumishi Mrefu) - this is the Army version.

It also comes in Police (blue ribbon) and Prisons (khaki ribbon) versions.

[Image courtesy Militaria Agent]

Edited by Megan

At the moment I am almost done with what I have found out... but there are still some holes (vast gaping holes!) in my knowledge. I think a letter to the Tanzanian Embassy may be in order...

• 2 months later...
    • 5 months later...
    • 11 months later...