News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The week till now was quiet busy and as i had a little bit of time left today, i thought to made a quick stop at my favourable medalshop ...

with nothing special in mind, and as i wasn't able to had a look at his update this week, my expectation on seeing this ribbonbar where "sold" - but lucky me, it wasn't :jumping:

i think this bar is quiet interesting, due to the 4th decoration

On the bar are the following awards:

- Saxony, Albrechts Order, Knight 1st Class

- Prussia, Iron Cross, 2nd Class

- Bavaria, Military Merit Order, 4th Class with Swords

- Württemberg, Wilhelms-Cross with Swords !!!!!!!!!!!

- Ernestine Dutchies, Saxonina-Ernestine-Houseorder, Knight 1st Class with Swords

- Prussia, Crown Order, 4th Class

- Ernestine Dutchies, Saxonina-Ernestine-Houseorder, Knight 2nd Class

Who do you see, as possible suspect of beeing awarded with these decorations?

I would imagine by the 2 piecetime awards at the end of the bar and the BMVO a senior Oberleutnant or Hauptmann, but "why" he got the Wilhelms-Cross with Swords?

Guest Rick Research

Preliminary suspect would be

Rittmeistsr aD Georg Freiherr von Ompteda

born 1863 as shown below. I don't find him in my Saxon Rank Lists from 1896 on (unhelpfully, NOT listed among the aD officers)

BUT

he held Prussian KO3 (!!!)-- this from the 1908/09 Orders Almanac--

World War awards known (BTW, he is NOT listed in the Honor Rank List! :speechless1: )

SA3aX 14.09.16 as Rittmeister aD beim AOK 6

BMV4X 02.05.15 as Rittmeister aD

EH3aX 01.11.15 as Rittmeister aD "bisher AOK6" and as those of you with the Thuringian Rolls will note, the quite strange note on the Altenburg Ernestine Roll "Altenb. Khr. u. berühmter Schriftsteller" (!!!)

Cannot as of this moment confirm a pre-war Ernestine from Coburg or Meiningen (did not have one from Altenburg, however he got the Coburg Jubilee medal not worn here on "Orders only" bar, so maybe from them)

NOT previously known for the WKrzX so Daniel will be pleased (if I'm correct).

Baron Ompteda was last listed in the 1928 "Wer Ist's?" because he is in the next edition's(1935) Nekrolog as "† München 09.12.31."

Will have to rummage around some more.

WOW!

THANKS SO MCUH!

Fast and also quiet interesting to see a "Writer" behind this ribbonbar!

... and whats also interesting:

he was on the Kriegsakademie in Berlin 1889 - 1892 and in 1892 he fell off a/his horse which caused him injuries leading to be out of service - and that started his career as a writer.

here the list of his works (as listed on wikipedia):

* 1889 Von der Lebensstraße (Lyrik)

* 1891 Die Sünde. Geschichte eines Offiziers (Novel)

* 1897 Deutscher Adel um 1900

* 1898 Eheliche Liebe (Drama)

* 1911 Die Tochter des großen Georgi (Theaternovel)

* 1923 Ausgewählte Novellen

* 1929 Sonntagskind, Jugendjahre eines Glücklichen (Autobiographie)

* Excelsior Ein Bergsteigerleben / Berlin: Wegweiser-Verl., 1938

* 1932 Bergkrieg ; darin: Erinnerung an den Dichter. Von Leopold v. Schlözer u. Georg Frhr von Ompteda.

* Der jungfräuliche Gipfel; Novel; 1927

* Ernst III.; Novel, 1925

* Die schöne Gräfin Cosel : Roman einer Geliebten Augusts des Starken; 1932

* Herzeloyde : Novelle; 1923

* Benigna : Novel; 1923

* Ausgewählte Novellen; 1923

* Aus großen Höhen : Alps-Novel; 1921

* Die kleine Zinne : Novel from the Mountains, 1931

* Eine Auslese aus Nummer 1 - 40 / / Ompteda, Georg von. - 11. - 30. Tsd. - 1915

* Normalmenschen : Novel, 1906

* Denise de Montmidi; 1912

and still, his horse-back-riding-injuries where not "that" bad, to be back in uniform again in WW1

as well here we get a face and his signature (photos credited: Kotte Autographs, Rosshaupten)

Edited by Christian L

Guest Rick Research

Christian-- in my 8 years online, that is without doubt the WORST smudge of a photo I have ever "seen" All I can detect is an EK in first place on the medal bar (odd for a Saxon) and what looks like an Albert-Officer Cross which would make this appalling cataract surgery "before" view NOT him. :speechless1:

Thanks to Glenn's unceasing labours :cheers: here is what the KS Militär- Verordnungsblätter reveal of his short wartime "career"--

Guest Rick Research

And his release from army service (per 22 May 1916):

So he received FIVE awards-- FOUR of them expensive :catjava: enamel Orders-- for a YEAR of service-- probably as something like commander of the headquarters Stabswache or similar position.

Ompteda spent the war as editor of the Lille Kriegszeitung, the official paper of the 6th army (commanded by Rupprecht of Bavaria). He also was also one of the army's key signals' adjutants on the staff.

I may have a photo of him at the Lille train station.

Here he is with his co-editor, fellow novelist Paul Hoecker, from the Kreigszeitung 1914-1915 (vol.1) compendium.

Guest Rick Research

A MUCH better image! :cheers:

When the Research Collective gathers, is anything impossible? :catjava:

From the collar of the drawing, those appear to be Johanniter-Orden devices from their military ambulance formation-- his next stop after getting FOUR "combat" awards for...

proofreading? :unsure: :whistle:

Thanks a lot Rick, Ulstermann and Glenn!

And yes, it seems to be a Johanniter around his neck and a stiched cross on the uniform - hope to be able to get a better pic of him ... as you are more than true ... its quiet a pic of "questionable" quality.

A wonderfull bar, and definately beyond i would have ever been able to expect!

The week till now was quiet busy and as i had a little bit of time left today, i thought to made a quick stop at my favourable medalshop ...

with nothing special in mind, and as i wasn't able to had a look at his update this week, my expectation on seeing this ribbonbar where "sold" - but lucky me, it wasn't :jumping:

i think this bar is quiet interesting, due to the 4th decoration

On the bar are the following awards:

- Saxony, Albrechts Order, Knight 1st Class

- Prussia, Iron Cross, 2nd Class

- Bavaria, Military Merit Order, 4th Class with Swords

- Württemberg, Wilhelms-Cross with Swords !!!!!!!!!!!

- Ernestine Dutchies, Saxonina-Ernestine-Houseorder, Knight 1st Class with Swords

- Prussia, Crown Order, 4th Class

- Ernestine Dutchies, Saxonina-Ernestine-Houseorder, Knight 2nd Class

Who do you see, as possible suspect of beeing awarded with these decorations?

I would imagine by the 2 piecetime awards at the end of the bar and the BMVO a senior Oberleutnant or Hauptmann, but "why" he got the Wilhelms-Cross with Swords?

Unless there are two of them -someone better tell Uwe that it's sold. :Cat-Scratch::cool:

Great catch Christian L!

Edited by Claudius

Guest Rick Research

???

ARE there two of these? Identical arrangement of awards?

No reason why there shouldn't be...

many groups have/had multiple duplicates before being split up.

Speedytop Uwe?

???

ARE there two of these? Identical arrangement of awards?

No reason why there shouldn't be...

many groups have/had multiple duplicates before being split up.

Speedytop Uwe?

I believed it was the EXACT ribbon bar down to every nuance, but now it's gone. I don't see it listed anymore. Which is also unusual because most of time the items are then shown as "SOLD".

Nevertheless, A nice bar and Christian had a great eye to see what potential was there.

• 3 weeks later...

Two more ribbon bars, therse with war time awards only.

Notice the use of a wrong Württemberg ribbon on one of bars. This would have made any identification extremely difficult, adding he's not wearing his peace time awards.

And last but not least...

Unfortunally, I have no idea whose thsi stuff is now. I hope it is still one group. I was sent the pictures some years ago by someone, but he did not get the stuff, unfortunally.

Hope you like it though. Reunited.