News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I would say that this combination is very unlikely. To have only a Red Eagle Order and no Prussian long service is very odd, as well as, no other award for WWI service and then to top it off with eight years of SS service, highly unlikely.

• 2 weeks later...

I admit I know NOTHING about the originality of minis, but there were LOTs of people who ONLY got an REO and nothing else in their careers. These were often socially prominent businessfolk or professionals.

The SS medal though-that's a stretch.

Everything SS related is very prone to faking. And an SS LS award without NSDAP LS is even more suspicious. Since RAO mini is worn while hindy and SS are mint, it's very likely these two are replacements for something more common - prussian LS, centennary medal or whatever.

Hi Peter,

here is "my" explanation I owe you and other members. I have to confess that my concerns about seeing sole SS LS award (without NSDAP LS) is based on an article of Richard Lundström from Wehrmacht-awards forum:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/related/ribbons/exotica.htm

Since Mr. Lundström's article is posted in general part of WAF page (not member-only) I took the liberty to quote the relevant part here:

"SS long service awards were only granted to three categories of personnel: career enlistees in the SS-Verfügungstruppe (later "Waffen-SS"), and staffs of SS-Junkerschulen (Officer Training Schools) and Totenkopfverbánde (Concentration Camp personnel). All other members of the SS simply received the same NSDAP long service awards that career uniformed personnel of any Nazi Party organization received. Members of the few SS branches entitled to their own long service awards also wore the Party awards, with the SS one (only a single SS award could be worn, though all three NSDAP awards could be worn together) first. ..."

Since the SS was (considered elite) part of NSDAP, and since SS LS awards were awarded only to a very limited portion of (career) SS members, almost all career members of SS were also members of NSDAP, and as employees of SS, they were technically also employees of NSDAP; so entitled for NSDAP LS awards too. (NSDAP LS awards were awarded only to career NSDAP personell, not to all party members!) So, it is the far most common combination that a person who was entitled for SS LS award got NSDAP LS too. There were very few exceptions when career SS members were not party members, but that was rare indeed.

Here's another part of mr. Lundström's article about this subject.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/related/ribbons/good_bad_ugly.htm

If me (and my source) are wrong, I deeply apologize.

Regards, Valter