News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal bar with Chilean award ribbon

Hi,

Here is one medal bar what arrived yesterday. I need your opinion, before I send it back, because there is way too many questionable things, what I do not like at all! Also "black light" test....

Ok, here is the front of the bar. Wrapping is nice and looks ok.

Now what really worries me is the reverse...

Pin do not look good, catch is weirdest what I have ever seen (looks like the medal bar plate is home made) and another anomaly - Hinge is rusty but the velt is preffectly clean.

And finally "UV light" test. I left one of EK2 with original ribbon next to the set as a control/test one in order to compare EK2 ribbons.

Like you can see EK2 ribbon and Chilean award ribbons glows under the light.

So, I would like to hear some experts opinion about that bar.unsure.gif

I believe it is made up bar, using original awards on it. EK2 ribbon is reproduction and also one LS device is modern. Medal bar plate is home made.

Well, I am certainly no expert on anything, but I will agree with you on every point you have made. The entire thing looks home-made out of various parts. Pin looks like a snipped piece of wire. Gold eagle is certainly different than the silver one and I have difficulty a period maker would have done that. Catch on the bar certainly looks hand=snipped. Glowing ribbon is never a good thing unless they are all glowing due to some dry-cleaning agent.... etc., etc., etc.

Hi Timo,

I already told you with a PM what I think about it and your very detailled pictures confirmed my thoughts; I don't like the eagle devices... moreover you would also expect that such devices are of the same quality and maker on the same bar. Glowing ribbons under UV light is not good news...

The medal bar construction (see pin on the back) looks also very peculiar to say the least...

Here's my medal bar for comparison... as you can see, although the pictures are not so big and detailled as yours, the ribbons are all similarly aged/faded and the whole construction of the bar make completely sense...

Ciao,

Claudio

Edited by Claudio

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Timo,

I completely agree with all your concerns. Is the backside and padding material also glowing under blacklight? And if I see correctly, there are different threads used - for medal bar nad backing (pic #6), that is odd too. And the left eagle doesnt have the aged, patinated "old gold" color as should be expected, but more like glittery gold color of later 1957er pieces. Not surprisingly, Chilean award is missing as this one was too hard to get for a forger. :angry: