News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The one leg dentist who won the EKRKEXBr

As I was working on my Generals list I came across a Dr. Karl Mauss. He served in the German Army in WWI and was commissioned on 20.5.15 3 days after his 17 birthday. He was the youngest officer in the German Army at the time. During the war he was awarded the EK2 and EK1. After the war he fought in the FreiKorps until he was discharged in 1922. This next part is great. Dr. Mauss completed medical dental school in 1929, but then entered in Army in 1934 and obtained the level of Generalleutnant 1.10.1944. He may have even been promoted to General der Panzertruppe on 1.4.1945. On 4.15. 1945 he was awarded the diamonds to the Knights Cross. It must have been hard for him to stand and be decorated with the diamonds as during March of 1945 his left leg was amputated after a wound from an artillery shell. Dr. Mauss was in British captivity until 1947 after which he openned up his dental practise. He died 9.2.1959. This is a fantastic story of a man who forged ahead regardless of the opposition. Here is the kicker, he attempted in enlist in the Bundeswehr, but the request was denied due to health reasons. Below is a picture of the good Doctor. If anyone has more informationh or pictures please post them.

Yup - plus the fact that the German Cross was not officially in the EK progression.

This is why you will find numerous examples of the RK pre-dating the DKiG.

The requirement was to hold the EKI and to continue to distinguish oneself on numerous subsequent occasions. There is no mention of the RK in the requirements.

The same can be said about the relationship between the KVK and the DKiS. There is at least one example (per a quick check of randomly selected pages in Gordon's book) of the RK/KVK preceding the DKiS.

I guess that if a person had the RK and did something of merit but not enough to give the oakleaves to the RK that they would then get the DKiG. It makes sense.