News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I found this little guy early in the day and he was still there when I wanted to go home.

We all can see that this is a Schwartzburg, and I believe it is Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt, but is this the Honor Cross or the Honor Medal? The Honor Cross could be awarded w/o swords, so it would be understandable to have the swords to denote a combatant. I believe the Honor Medal was already a combatant award and didn't need swords to indicate otherwise.

What do you think?

Edited by Claudius

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully this helps - although the lack of an actual medal there may hurt 2014.gif

Luke

Great medal and ribbon bar! I don't mind the missing honor cross too much.

:o but the medal order is a bit odd with the honor medal on the end.

Any other comments on it?

I would say the last medal on the bar was awarded as a non-combatant order...just noticed this from looking at the ribbon bar...one ribbon has swords, the other one does not.

Matt

Edited by M Hunter

I would say the last medal on the bar was awarded as a non-combatant order...just noticed this from looking at the ribbon bar...one ribbon has swords, the other one does not.

Matt

Or it is a frankenstein construction. The medal on the end is surely the Honor Medal for "Verdienst im Krieg", a combatant award. It wouldn't ordinarily belong on the end like this.

To compare, does anyone have an example of a double Schwarzburg award on a medal bar or ribbon bar?

I have seen a double Schwrzbrg somewhere- Rick would remember where.

I doubt its' a Frankenstein as the ribbon bar makes sense too. I have seen combat/noncombat state awards like this before and its too "obvious" an "error" for a professional faker methinks. I totally see this as someone who got the medal again later on wearing either a suit or in an ersatz depot. I think the Schwrzbrg. rolls exist and if they do, maybe I can ID him..

Let me check .See the ribbon bar article for other oddities.

Matt, if it were it came on another ribbon. This is a typical bravery/war merit award, that should be way more left on the bar. Still, stranger things happened.

Matt, if it were it came on another ribbon. This is a typical bravery/war merit award, that should be way more left on the bar. Still, stranger things happened.

Saschaw, your comment has prompted me to look in my ribbon book (Medal Ribbons and Orders of Imperial Germany and Austria) and i do not see a non-combatant ribbon for Schwarzburg....just cross of honour, medal of honour and medal of honor for war merit.

It is hard to tell from the picture but maybe these medals are on hooks making it easy to remove them and maybe they got put back in the wrong place? Clutching at straws here but a possibility?

I then looked at Claudius' first post and see he mentions Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt....so further down my page i look and i see a similar ribbon...medal of merit for long service (1853)...but with the blue ribbon representing the long service award from Prussia, this option is out also?

My best :beer:

Matt

Edited by M Hunter

Saschaw, your comment has prompted me to look in my ribbon book (Medal Ribbons and Orders of Imperial Germany and Austria) and i do not see a non-combatant ribbon for Schwarzburg....just cross of honour, medal of honour and medal of honor for war merit.

mhh, I looked at Nimmergut and found the NC ribbon: dark blue with ornage stripes on the edge, similar to Prussian XXI long service brooch's ribbon.

Not the matching medal bar Claudius but i thought i would share my only Schwarzburg item!jumping.gif

Kind regards

Pierce

Pierce;

No apologizes necessary! I'm delighted to see your Schwarzburg bar.

Thank you for adding it here to this thread.