News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello Everyone,

A year or more ago I ventured into Imperial German territory and found that I had been "burned" by a local dealer. Lucky for me he took the material back but as credit only. I ended up using the credit for some genuine British Medals so it was just a learning experience that cost me nothing, except a little embarrassment. :blush: Now I am trying to get my "feet wet" agian and hope I have not made the same errors in judgement. This group comes from a different dealer. I've learned my lesson and purchase nothing from the first guy.

This trio was sold as WWI Prussian. The War Effort Cross (my name for the sake of description) looks to have been mounted up with the reverse side out, the familiar Commemorative Medal and the Vetran's Association War Service Cross are all in very good condition.

What is the feeling of the members regarding this group? The ribbons look good though slightly soiled. I'll post the back of the mount next.

Brian

...and by the way the war effort cross is mounted correctly.

True, but it seems to be a a choice of the wearer. I have one bar with it mounted correctly, and another F-P war frack bar that has it reversed. :lol:

A perfect little bar! I love it. Worn by some old Prussian codger in the 1920s-1940s. Obviously a veteran and probably in uniform @ 1897-but it wouldn't surprise me if he was some sort of businessman or local official. The Prussian war aid cross was given to all sorts of folks.

I really like this one!

Many thnaks to all of you who have responded.

This is a new area for me and I am very nervous about getting "taken to the cleaners", so-to-speak. I purchased a very nice group of four from one of the members here so that one I am very confident is 100% genuine. Howerver, once outside of the GMIC you take a chance of running amok of some very shady characters.

Another group of three arrived today that I will be posting for comment. I would greatly appreciate your guidance if you will be so kind to look at it. It's a Franco-Prussian War group (I hope). This new one has me quite worried.

Thanks again.

Regards

Brian

• 5 weeks later...

Indeed!

Hi Ulsterman,

Is that an Oldenburg Cross 1st Class the fellow is wearing?

I the mail Gods are kind I have one coming for my collection this coming week (I hope).

Nice photo by the way.

Regards

Brian

Yup...... that`s the first class.... nice looking award in white / gold

So...it is the 1st class Prussian War Veteran's Organization Cross and not the Oldenburg cross?

I don't want to be confused about this.

Regards

Brian

Hi Brian:

"Is that an Oldenburg Cross 1st Class the fellow is wearing?"

I think, it is the first class of the Prussian War Veterans Organisation.

Uwe

It was hard to see in the photo and I was going by the general shape. Upon closer view I can see that there seems to be more printed on the cross than just the "FA" in the centre of the Oldenburg.

Thanks

Brian

It was hard to see in the photo and I was going by the general shape. Upon closer view I can see that there seems to be more printed on the cross than just the "FA" in the centre of the Oldenburg.

Thanks

Brian

Here's the cross. beer.gif

Many thanks Ulsterman.

I really like photos of medals in wear but to be honest I never thought I'd see the 1st Class Oldenburg Cross in wear. I know that sounds like I think I've seen it all but that's not the case. I would imagine these are quite rare especially if compaired to the Prussian Iron Cross.

Thanks again Ulsterman, you are a true gentleman and a scholar, and from what I have seen on another post a Fly Fisherman!

:cheers:

Regards

Brian