News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A 1914 EK2 just in and I have my doubts

Hello Everyone,

I purchased this 1914 EK2 with the Austrian style ribbon from a dealer who listed it as genuine and with a maker's mark. When I took delivery I could find no maker's mark and I started to have my doubts about the cross and the dealer. This is of a three piece construction, which is good, an iron centre, also good but I noticed that ring affixed to the cross is very thick as compaired with others that I know to be genuine in my collection. I remember that there was a post a while back that featured a ring such as this but not only can I not recall what the decision was I cannot find the post on the forum. Perhaps it was in the Lounge as I didn't think of that source until this very moment.

If the members would please take a look at this Ek and and let me know what you all think it would be most helpful and greatly appreciated. If this is a genuine Iron Cross then was there a specific manufacturer that used this larger ring?

I will post a few photos of the medal and with another known genuine speciment for comparison. If more photos are needed please ask and I will post them.

As always your assistance is greatly appreciated and opinions welcomed.

Regards

Brian

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the comments.

Here is a closer view of both sides. This is the best I can do with the camera and Photoshop. Linda bought me a high definition scanner and it arrived this afternoon so I hope that if and when I get it figured out I can post better images. No, it's not an Epson. :blush:

Regards

Brian

Here's the reverse. In this photo you can see the ring clearly, the image of the obverse was too close to show up the ring.

I am sure the ribbon is a new manufacture it is just too good to be anything except modern. I wanted an example of the EK2 on the Austrian ribbon for my collection's Austrian section.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Brian

Edited by Brian Wolfe

Here are the two specimens for comparison. The cross on the right is known to be genuine.

I think there is quite a difference between the two.

Hi,

I would not worry about that, there was noone to control how different firms made the EKs after WW1... Between 1918 until the LDO came along it must have been pretty much "wild west" time...

That cross is way cool... I think you have a nice variation... I would not hesitate for a second.

best

Chris

confirming chris: nothing wrong with this cross, but

can't comment on the ribbon.

joe

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

I had no doubt about the ribbon being modern when I purchased it. I will look for an authentic ribbon later on.

Regards

Brian

Thank you for your vote of confidence. I guess I am getting paranoid because of all of the Third Reich copies that are floating around.

Regards

Brian

Orphan ribbon is looking for a home :whistle:

Brian pm me where to send it :cheers:

that's a nice one. any idea yet about the purported mark? is there one on that large ring-- a tiny square, perhaps?

Hi Eric,

I didn't think there was any marks but now you mentioned it I took another look. There is a mark that I tought and actually still think is a mark from installation of the ring onto the medal's frame, though it could be an attempt at a manufacturer's mark. It looks like a "O" more than anything though in one photo posted below it looke like a "G" but that is due more to the lighting than anything in my opinion.

See what you think from the two photos, these were the best of several I took. You may need the Ctrl + trick to get a better view.

Regards

Brian

Edited by Brian Wolfe

hiya brian,

thanks for the additional views. you are probably right about the small mark on the ring, which is most likely a period repair that has been very neatly done. one can see the tab for the original suspension ring in there. this seems to have been a frequently worn example, and the owner wanted to avoid any recurring mishaps which could result in the loss of his cross.

again, nice item. i like these types of period-altered crosses!

p.s. it would behoove you to apply a cuetip and some water (or even better: boeshield t-9) to that core in order to remove some of the crud and prevent further oxidation

hiya brian,

thanks for the additional views. you are probably right about the small mark on the ring, which is most likely a period repair that has been very neatly done. one can see the tab for the original suspension ring in there. this seems to have been a frequently worn example, and the owner wanted to avoid any recurring mishaps which could result in the loss of his cross.

again, nice item. i like these types of period-altered crosses!

p.s. it would behoove you to apply a cuetip and some water (or even better: boeshield t-9) to that core in order to remove some of the crud and prevent further oxidation

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the tip. I will carry out some restoration on the cross now that I know it is genuine.

Regards

Brian