News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of Red Banner medal bar

Picked this up today at the Yerevan flea market; anything with the Caucasus medal gets my attention and the Red Banner made this one even more interesting. Unfortunately the medals are missing.

I'm curious as to whether the Soviet experts here would assume the Red Banner was a post-war length of service award or could it really have been a war-time bravery award. Considering the lack of other wartime awards, I'm guessing the length of service award. Especially since the recipient had some police connection by the time the 50 Years of the Police Militia medal was issued in 1967.

Thoughts on this bar...?

post-5961-062262800 1289647032_thumb.jpg

Just doing some web surfing and I've seen photos of colonels with Red Banner, Combat Service, and some campaign and jubilee medals. They almost always also had a Red Star. So, is it possible, this is a senior officer (COL or LTC) that received Red Banner as a bravery award? Possibly a Red Star that wouldn't show on the medal bar.

Just doing some web surfing and I've seen photos of colonels with Red Banner, Combat Service, and some campaign and jubilee medals. They almost always also had a Red Star. So, is it possible, this is a senior officer (COL or LTC) that received Red Banner as a bravery award? Possibly a Red Star that wouldn't show on the medal bar.

My guess is ORB and CSM as long service, along with the RS that's worn elsewhere as is the missing Lenin Cent. medal. Nice bar for a career mil man, probably. Can be easily recreated (with a decent fake ORB).

My guess is ORB and CSM as long service, along with the RS that's worn elsewhere as is the missing Lenin Cent. medal. Nice bar for a career mil man, probably. Can be easily recreated (with a decent fake ORB).

Just to add to Eric's comment re: a decent fake ORB... make the CSM (MMM) an unnumbered example. Be nice if you could find one that's unmounted or that looks to have a newer or replaced mount as if it were me I'd hate to muck around with a nice older one, even one that is indeed unnumbered... but that's just me. biggrin.gif

A Lenin Centennial medal is an easy find... but I'd try to find one of the military issues as opposed to the labor... but of course they are identical from the front so that's not crucial... again just something I'd do. And you could also get one of the aged ORS copies as finding an original with no number would be a tough one. Again that because I don't necessarily like to mix one individuals awards (even if unknown) with another's awards unless one has no choice for a display.

beer.gif

Dan cheers.gif

I haven't completely decided I want to "re-create" the bar with medals. Of course, I agree that it would have to be a copy ORB and an unnumbered MMM. But you know, for me, it still holds some allure without the medals.

Any idea why a career military man would have the police medal?

I haven't completely decided I want to "re-create" the bar with medals. Of course, I agree that it would have to be a copy ORB and an unnumbered MMM. But you know, for me, it still holds some allure without the medals.

Any idea why a career military man would have the police medal?

Perhaps he was assigned to a stint of liason/instructor duty with some police organization(or border guard)?