News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Amazone dagger

Gentlemen,

here are two pics of my Amazone dagger.

In 1842 the prussian king, Frederick William IV, decided to build a ship for training purposes. On June 24, 1843 the first state-owned school ship, the corvette AMAZONE, was launched.

On May 17, 1844 Amazone undertook her first tour. In 1845 she sailed to Genova and she visited New York on May23, 1848. In 1852 she participated in a cruise to South America.

This is a cadet dagger with a blunted tip. This tip was given to the fact of the latent danger of young boys carrying pointed, sharpened weapons.

This is the dagger that started it all.

It?s an extremely rare dagger.

Any thoughts/facts/infos greatly appreciated !

Thanks for looking !

Best regards;

Flyingdutchman

Edited by Flyingdutchman

• 10 months later...

Hi all,just joined the forum and look forward to future on here.

Thought i`d start with a few pics of my amazone,authenticated by Mr.Wittmann,its different in a couple of ways to the other handful of known examples........the blade tip is pointed,maybe officers model,and the suspension method is not two scabbord rings for cords,it is a lug in centre of scabbord for a `frog` type device,similar to navy hirschfangers of the time. no signs of alterations been done at all,very original fitting.

Must be for cadets... they rounded the point off so they cannot hurt themselves....

Yup... these navy folks have to be looked after.... :P

It was the custom on American ships to break the tip of sailors' knives to keep them from hurting each other :rolleyes:

It was the custom on American ships to break the tip of sailors' knives to keep them from hurting each other :rolleyes:

thats one point id never thought of (sorry about play on words),ive never looked at mine and compared blade to scabbord length and looked at other pics to compare theirs. guess all blades would have been made pointed then shortened and ground round for cadets,maybe more points (?) to officers and cadets amazone`s.

will check my references,thanks for bringing this up.

as the amazone sunk with all hands lost i guess these dirks were from previous crew or left at shore for dress purposes,if they were kept on board i guess the largest proportion of what were ever made are at the bottom of the north sea

i have a rare bit of paper dated 1844 that shows captain and second lietenant uniforms as officers of kriegskorvette amazone.both wear hirschfangers in frog type suspension and adorn officers portapees, so can any naval experts out there please tell me ranks between second lieutenant and cadets in prussian navy circa 1844.

any ideas gents ?

• 2 months later...