News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Recently i've been finding myslef more and more tempted by mounted imperial groups. I have until this point been pretty much a dedicated British/Commonwealth collector but have been known to "dabble" in other collecting areas when the mood strikes me.

I spotted this on a primarily British dealer site and was wondering what other members think. Now not knowing much abouth these groups i have some concerns. Firstly the ribbons appear narrower than typical is this usual for large mounted groups? Second the stitching used to affix the medals firmly in place does it look normal or a sign of a doctored group? I have asked for better photos of both the front and back side of the group as i've learned from this forum the backside can tell just as much as to authenticity as the front when it comes to groups. Lastly what would a fair market price be for this group (i'd hate to overpay on something by to much).

Cheers

Chris

post-4781-068483200 1295392702_thumb.jpg

Chris, have a look at the bar and link below - the big bar with filler combinations and narrow ribbons look alot like the fakes from this Austrian swindler.

post-1062-027655400 1295397862_thumb.jpg

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=10721&view=findpost&p=122271

Edited by Naxos

Recently i've been finding myslef more and more tempted by mounted imperial groups. I have until this point been pretty much a dedicated British/Commonwealth collector but have been known to "dabble" in other collecting areas when the mood strikes me.

I spotted this on a primarily British dealer site and was wondering what other members think. Now not knowing much abouth these groups i have some concerns. Firstly the ribbons appear narrower than typical is this usual for large mounted groups? Second the stitching used to affix the medals firmly in place does it look normal or a sign of a doctored group? I have asked for better photos of both the front and back side of the group as i've learned from this forum the backside can tell just as much as to authenticity as the front when it comes to groups. Lastly what would a fair market price be for this group (i'd hate to overpay on something by to much).

Cheers

Chris

Dear Chris:

Thank you for posting a photo of this item. Narrow ribbon ARE possible on genuine groups (especially if an Officer received many awards it allowed for easier mounting). In my opinion, from what I see, this group is recently assembled. There are many problems with the combination of awards on this bar and the order in which they appear. You should not purchase it at any price in my opinion.

Best regards,

"SPM"

Thank you kindly for your help Gentlemen. My gut was telling me something just didn't "feel right". I'll save my cash for something else. He also had a group with an ek2 1914, cross of honour with swords, finlands bravery medal (urheudesta), landwehr LS 9 year medal, ww2 war merit cross without swords and ww2 war merit medal. The group sounded very strange given the finish bravery medal but no finish commemorative medal and having the two war merit medals. It too didn't give me a good feeling.

Cheers

Chris

Hi,

Personally, I ALWAYS have a problem with bars that have shiny new ribbons.

Regards,

Sam

Even for single medals I like the tatty old ribbons. Maybe it's a false sense of security, but makes me think they truly were held by the recipient at one time.

Even for single medals I like the tatty old ribbons. Maybe it's a false sense of security, but makes me think they truly were held by the recipient at one time.

So this one could be a favorite for you :P

Regards, Komtur.