News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Striped Tiger

Richard LaTondre

There is a magnificent Order of the Striped Tiger 2nd Class up for sale on Yahoo Japan. At this posting time the bids have soared to $6,041.63 plus handling fees and exchange fees. It would be interesting to be able to read the award certificate. It looks as if it might be around 1923.

Richard

http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m80615514

Great grouping! Any idea where the bidder is from? The Yen is not cheap these days.

The year looks correct at 1923.

I have an idea that he may be from China as his name is Mr. Wu. It was easy to read the date. I would like to know who it was awarded to. It appears that the bidding will go over USD $6,000.00

There is a magnificent Order of the Striped Tiger 2nd Class up for sale on Yahoo Japan. At this posting time the bids have soared to $6,041.63 plus handling fees and exchange fees. It would be interesting to be able to read the award certificate. It looks as if it might be around 1923.

Richard

http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m80615514

Apparently, as to information offered on the OMSA website, same subject, the seller, after some astronomical bidding on this set, unexplainably withdrew the item from the auction. The question that I have is; is this morally or ethically proper? Can someone place an item up for auction and then without reason or explanation withdraw it? This appears to be a situation in which the seller is attempting to establish the 'demand' or price the public is willing to pay for his item. Perhaps I am wrong but I feel that this was an auction and the item should have gone to the highest bidder. Apparently this gentleman has done this in the past. I have posted this message on the GMIC site as well as the OMSA site due to the interest that has been generated on this subject. What is your opinion?

This is of course not morally or ethically proper, but it happens all the time. A few months ago I bought a miniature on the Italian eBay. After we concluded the sale the seller asked me if I would be interested in a few other items he had, and actually I was. So I offered him a fair price, but after a few days I saw the items listed on eBay. I then wrote to him and asked him if he didn't felt my offer was fair, he said yes, but he just wanted to test the price, and after a few days when bids were coming he stopped the auction and sold the items to me beeing convinced my offer was fair! I got the item at a fair price and he avoided the fees.

Actually I have approached various Sellers on eBay a few times when I have seen items I really wanted - and in some instances the Sellers have accepted an offer and closed the auctions before time. And I have also a few times been outbid that way - I was prepared to make a bid and suddenly the items were gone. And a few times I have questioned this and can only say, that it is sad that so many items are stolen, burned, eaten by a dog, destroyed or just disappeared in the last days of an auction having survived 100 years in a drawer?

It is not correct, but it happens so many times every day!

Cheers, Lars

This is of course not morally or ethically proper, but it happens all the time. A few months ago I bought a miniature on the Italian eBay. After we concluded the sale the seller asked me if I would be interested in a few other items he had, and actually I was. So I offered him a fair price, but after a few days I saw the items listed on eBay. I then wrote to him and asked him if he didn't felt my offer was fair, he said yes, but he just wanted to test the price, and after a few days when bids were coming he stopped the auction and sold the items to me beeing convinced my offer was fair! I got the item at a fair price and he avoided the fees.

Actually I have approached various Sellers on eBay a few times when I have seen items I really wanted - and in some instances the Sellers have accepted an offer and closed the auctions before time. And I have also a few times been outbid that way - I was prepared to make a bid and suddenly the items were gone. And a few times I have questioned this and can only say, that it is sad that so many items are stolen, burned, eaten by a dog, destroyed or just disappeared in the last days of an auction having survived 100 years in a drawer?

It is not correct, but it happens so many times every day!

Cheers, Lars

Thanks Lars,

I feel a bit better.

Richard

That is a beautiful looking decoration. What was it awarded for? Any clues to the number awarded?

The Order of the Striped Tiger (Wen Hu Xun Chang) was established by the President of the Republic of China (1912 -1928) Yuan Shikai. The purpose of this order was to reward members of the Chinese Army and Navy for merit during peace and war. The medal was awarded rather freely to both Chnese as well as foreign military and naval officers until the Beijing government was overthrown by the Kuomintang (Nationalist) party in 1928 and was abolished by Chang Kaishek in 1928.

The tiger was considered to be one of the four supernaturally constituted beasts. which after a thousand years became a 'white' tiger and was then immortal. and was an emblem of good fortune.

The First through Fourth classes were to be awarded to officers of high rank. The Third through sixth classes to officers of middle (Field grade) rank. The Fourth through Seventh classes to subaltern (company grade) officers, senior noncoms lieutenants and captains. The Sixth through ninth classes to NCOs and other enlisted ranks. However, merit rather than rank was to be the main consideration when granting the award. I believe it to be one of the most prestigest of Chinese military awards based upon those great military heros of the past that were recipients of the award.

Richard LaTondre

www.thegoldenkite.com

• 3 weeks later...