News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Good morning Gents

I was looking through the AWM collection online and found this little bar (amongst others) which may be of interest....although I have a feeling the EK2 has been replaced. What are your thoughts on this? The Prussian Merit Cross seem to be original to it, given its sewn internally to the ribbon, and the thread used seems to be quite aged in keeping with the rest of the bar.

Here is the AWM description of the Merit Cross:

Description: First Class version of the award mounted in the Prussian parade mount style. On the obverse is the Prussian Crown and the entwined initials 'WR'. On the reverse is written 'Kriege Verdienst' which translates to 'war service'. The medal is fitted with a loose ring suspender. The ribbon features a broad central black band bordered by two narrower white bands with narrow black band edges.

cheers

Jas

Edited by Jason

Good morning Gents

I was looking through the AWM collection online and found this little bar (amongst others) which may be of interest....although I have a feeling the EK2 has been replaced. What are your thoughts on this? The Prussian Merit Cross seem to be original to it, given its sewn internally to the ribbon, and the thread used seems to be quite aged in keeping with the rest of the bar.

Here is the AWM description of the Merit Cross:

Description: First Class version of the award mounted in the Prussian parade mount style. On the obverse is the Prussian Crown and the entwined initials 'WR'. On the reverse is written 'Kriege Verdienst' which translates to 'war service'. The medal is fitted with a loose ring suspender. The ribbon features a broad central black band bordered by two narrower white bands with narrow black band edges.

cheers

Jas

Hello Jason:

I hope that everything has dried out a bit now in your area and that all is well.

The first award is a Prussian "Militär-Ehrenzeichen 1. Klasse" (Military Honor Award 1st Class). I believe that it is the proper award on this group most likely. A very rare group to a colonial soldier or marine!

Thank you for sharing this item with us.

Best regards

Haha yes its a bit drier here now...but still lots of mud and dead fish around in car parks etc!

I had a feeling it was original to the bar...but there's always the chance it could have been "fiddled" with at some stage in its life.

Im heading down that way in March....so I'll contact the curator of heraldry to see if I can examine the bar in person and get some decent pics of it.

cheers

Jas

Edited by Jason

What is the Prussian Militär-Ehrenzeichen 1. Klasse awarded for?

For acts of bravery to EMs and NCOs, in those wars or conflicts an EK was not awarded. THe MEZ1 is an equivalent to the EK1 from it's ranking, but as the conflicts usually were smaller than the great war, and as it went to EM and NCO only, it's way scarcer. This type shown here was introduced in 1864 and awarded mostly in 1864, 1866, for China and south west Africa.

I was thinking that this bar might be from a German serving in New Guinea in 1914, as it clearly has a colonial connection and the museum has other items from New Guinea in their collection. Having seen the description on the AWM website of the service record of the Australian who donated the bar (mostly Sinai/Palestine with a little time in France at the end of the war) it would seem that is not the case. I hope you can find some more information on it when you're there, Jas... and thanks again for bringng this one up

Cheers

Chris