News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A young Saxon officer? Maybe a relative?

I really like this post card for its clear photo and unusual ribbon with the EK2 in the button-hole. It looks like some Saxon ribbons (maybe even Baden), but haven't seen it in a button-hole before.

His cockade suggests Saxon - at least to my untrained eye. Not much help from the shoulder straps; a difficult to see cypher/monogram. Any help here appreciated.

And perhaps most interesting - hoping Hardy can give a good reading - the name at the bottom looks like "Runner" to me... Or is that just fantasy? Could be "Rummer" too - too many humps perhaps.

A side note - this young officer looks like he's 12 years old and already decorated twice!

I really like this post card for its clear photo and unusual ribbon with the EK2 in the button-hole. It looks like some Saxon ribbons (maybe even Baden), but haven't seen it in a button-hole before.

His cockade suggests Saxon - at least to my untrained eye. Not much help from the shoulder straps; a difficult to see cypher/monogram. Any help here appreciated.

And perhaps most interesting - hoping Hardy can give a good reading - the name at the bottom looks like "Runner" to me... Or is that just fantasy? Could be "Rummer" too - too many humps perhaps.

A side note - this young officer looks like he's 12 years old and already decorated twice!

I'm not the most knowledgable person here, but the Saxon ribbon looks like the ribbon for the Ehrenmedaille für Verdienste im Kriege of the Duchy of Saxe-Meiningen. From what looks like the curved bottom of the cypher on the shoulder straps, I think he might be from 6. Thüringisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr.95 which included troops from both Saxe-Coburg-Gotha and Saxe-Meiningen.

Mike, Ehrenmedaille für Verdienste im Kriege of the Duchy of Saxe-Meiningen was my best guess too; and I can see the possibility of the 95. Regt monogram, but it's difficult to tell. Here's a touched up scan of the strap - I'm afraid it won't get much better consider the angle and my capability.

Kummer, huh? Bummer. But at least if the unusual ribbon turns out to be Saxe-Meiningen all is not lost. I suppose no one has a Rang-list?

Hi gunner,

I read KUMMER.

best regards,

Jens

Jens,

You are much, much, much better at reading this writing than I am, but are you sure about KUMMER? In the 1914 Rangliste there is a Leutnant KUMME in 6. Thüringisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr.95.

This fellow looks too young to have been in a 1914 Ranglist.

Chip

I'm not sure what you mean, Chip. The Leutnant KUMME in 6. Thüringisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr.95 had a date of rank of 22 March 1914 so he could be pretty young.

Edited by Mike Dwyer

Mike,

It's just an observation based on his youthful look. Besides, I think it is possible that the name is Kummer and there was an Oberleutnant Kummer in the Grenadier Regiment Nr.10, whose regimental Chef was Bernhard III., herzog von Sachsen=Meiningen. The cypher on the shoulder board seems to match the 10th Grenadiers also. Another possibility. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Chip

Mike,

It's just an observation based on his youthful look. Besides, I think it is possible that the name is Kummer and there was an Oberleutnant Kummer in the Grenadier Regiment Nr.10, whose regimental Chef was Bernhard III., herzog von Sachsen=Meiningen. The cypher on the shoulder board seems to match the 10th Grenadiers also. Another possibility. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Chip

Well whatever his name is, the name on the photo is most certainly Kummer

Jens,

You are much, much, much better at reading this writing than I am, but are you sure about KUMMER? In the 1914 Rangliste there is a Leutnant KUMME in 6. Thüringisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr.95.

Mike,

I'm really sure about five letters! So "Kumme" is not possible! The first letter has a small line to the right - for a "K" (see the red line).

And I don't think the IR95 chiffe is a "EG" for Herzöge Ernst von Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha und Georg von Sachsen-Meiningen.

It's more a "WR" or "WFR" (maybe with roman numeral!?). So I think Chip has the right idea - the Gren-Rgt. Nr.10 possible. 2014.gif

Best regards, beer.gif

Jens

Edited by KIR

Leutnant Kummer of G.R. 10 sounds good. He was the recipient of The Ehrenmedaille für Verdienste im Kriege. As Chip pointed out, he was rather youthful to be in the 1914 Rangliste and in fact was promoted to Fähnrich on 19 Sep 14 and to Leutnant (provisionally without a Patent) on 20 Oct 14. He subsequently received a Patent as a Leutnant backdated to 19 Feb 13 and was promoted to Oberleutnant on 20 Jun 18 (20.6.18 Z4z).

Regards

Glenn

Leutnant Kummer of G.R. 10 sounds good. He was the recipient of The Ehrenmedaille für Verdienste im Kriege. As Chip pointed out, he was rather youthful to be in the 1914 Rangliste and in fact was promoted to Fähnrich on 19 Sep 14 and to Leutnant (provisionally without a Patent) on 20 Oct 14. He subsequently received a Patent as a Leutnant backdated to 19 Feb 13 and was promoted to Oberleutnant on 20 Jun 18 (20.6.18 Z4z).

Regards

Glenn

Glenn, thanks for the additional info. Must have been a tough kid - or just lucky - to earn the awards. Wonder what he ended up doing after the First War and into the Second.

Mike,

I'm really sure about five letters! So "Kumme" is not possible!...... Jens

I figuered you were correct, but I thought I'd give it a try just to be safe! I wasn't trying to be difficult, I didn't realize that Erbprinz Bernhard was the chief of Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 10. That all makes sense to me.

The cypher on his shoulder board, as fuzzy as it is, does seem to have a curved "rocker like" bottom which fits perfectly with the bottom portion of the EG cypher of Infantrie-Regiment Nr. 95, and to me at least, doesn't look anything like the bottom portion of the FWR II cypher that Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 10 wore. That is mostly what led me down the wrong path was the appearance of the cypher.

Between you being sure the name is Kummer and Glenn saying Leutnant Kummer received the Sachsen-Meiningen Ehrenmedaille für Verdienste im Kriege I believe his identity has been confirmed! Sorry for clouding the issue. :unsure: