News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello All, I would like some options on reconstructing Imperial medal groups. First do collectors have problems with this? Second what type of mounting would be best. British style overlapped? Prussian Parade mount? Not mounted - just arranged in a row? This is not to deceive anyone, only to rebuild the group. All medals are originals (Colonial is Jeweler's copy). I plan since original Venezuela 1902/03 bars are very expensive to have a piece of 1/4 " brass stock just engraved. Any thoughts are welcome and appreciated. Cheers Captain Albert :cheers:

Yeah, I know... it's a lot of hard work. But I have always admired the way those ribbon bars look - and to see a completed set of all the medals you've shown would be quite a sight to behold!

It is not usual, to say the least, to re-construct German medal bars, while, from what I've heard, it is usual e.g. to replace ribbons in British groups. I'd just display them together. But that's me. ;)

If you are going to mount a group you must put the medals in the correct order otherwise your time and money is wasted. Also are your medals randomly picked or are you assembling the group of a specfic person. If randomly picked they should make some sense. If you are assembling a group of a specific person you need to know everything that he had. Give me some details in a PM and I would be happy to help.

My opinion is that parade mounting is the way to go as most authentic for your display of this group. I would not use the original ribbons however. I would preserve those and use modern reproduction ribbons for the display. The ribbons shown are just too beautiful to “slice & dice” as you would need to do. In this manner you could still reverse the process if desired at a later date.

My opinion is that parade mounting is the way to go as most authentic for your display of this group. I would not use the original ribbons however. I would preserve those and use modern reproduction ribbons for the display. The ribbons shown are just too beautiful to “slice & dice” as you would need to do. In this manner you could still reverse the process if desired at a later date.

I agree with W McSiggan and Paul C. I can understand reproducing a specific person's medal group, only the mount should use modern repro ribbons and construction materials.

Thanks Vtwinvince, I know I did a couple (a long time ago). Most of the ribbons shown above are good replacements, I need to find the Thailand Order of the Crown ribbon, the Turkish Imtaiz Medal ribbon, and probably the Life Saving Medal ribbon. Medroy of England has a very good selection and quality of ribbons. I might try the British Ghunzee 1839 (2nd type ribbon) for the Turkish Imtaiz Medal (might have to bleach a little). Cheers Captain Albert