News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

To Our Friends In Japan....

Dieter3

I too hope our fellow members and their families in Japan are well.

Take care Dieter3 I hear these disasters may be heading your way.

Regards

Brian

Thanks Brian - we're all good here. We did have a tsunami warning - haven't had a chance to see any local news all day, but we were unaffected where I'm at. I believe at least one of our members is from Sendai though, got hit hard.

I am about 50-60 miles south of San Fransisco in Santa Cruz,There was extensive damage in the harbour.Boats sunk,ripped from their moorings,etc.There was quite a tidal surge.

Nothing compared to what happened in Japan but considering how many thousands of miles we are away from the epicenter this was significant news here locally.

I do hope that all of our members from Japan are OK.

Regards,Martin.

Edited by Martin W

Hi guys,

I've never experienced anything like this ... condo was shaking like the boat in the storm ... good thing is I am not in Fukushima area ... bad thing is I cannot reach any of my friends on the phone in that area

So, hope that they all are ok.

I would like to add my own wishes of sympathy for those in Japan who have lost loved ones,

may they Rest In Peace, Sympathy & Condolences to their family & friends, and best wishes that our local members are safe and well with their families.

Hi guys,

I've never experienced anything like this ... condo was shaking like the boat in the storm ... good thing is I am not in Fukushima area ... bad thing is I cannot reach any of my friends on the phone in that area

So, hope that they all are ok.

Looks like things going from bad to worse - I just saw the footage of the explosion at the nuclear plant there, but it sounds like the core is still contained. I do hope your friends are O.K. there, I know they have moved people out of the area. And glad you're O.K. too!!

I live down south in Fukuoka, so it is safe here. But I think John (ebay ID: gunjinantiques) lives in Sendai. I may be mistaken, though.

Glad you're safe down there, and I think you're right about John. I tried emailing him, but no response yet.

Horrific to say the least!

I am surprised we haven't heard of any damage north in Hokkaido as the south/east coast faced the epicenter and was fairly close.

Sendai is gone and looking at a Google Earth map can see why it suffered so hard. The bay is shaped in a cresent/bowl shape and the force is centered directly into it. Just like we see in Crescent City, California which is always at risk because of a smiliar shape to the bay/harbor. They got hit pretty hard in 1964 and I see downtown got flooded again despite their modern breakwall.

Well, lets hope scientists can learn more from this event and my heart goes out to the people of Sendai!

Tim

Most Sad and a horror, I pray all are well. Our home in Brookings Oregon overlooks the harbour and the surges did do damage to several boats and piers. Four idiots were taking photos of the first surge and got sweept out,but the itdiots were saved. Regards, Oiva

I don't think we have even begun to see the tip of the iceburg yet. Sendai is the main city being discussed in the news but, there are many other small cities that were even closer to the epicenter and closer to the actual coastline. Plus all the little towns/villages and rural areas where people lived. I fear the death toll to go much higher.

Tim

Looks like things going from bad to worse - I just saw the footage of the explosion at the nuclear plant there, but it sounds like the core is still contained. I do hope your friends are O.K. there, I know they have moved people out of the area. And glad you're O.K. too!!

Glad you're safe down there, and I think you're right about John. I tried emailing him, but no response yet.

most of people I know from the area of Fukushima are safe

no information about 3 families so far ... one of them is really old guy, veteran of WWII, who had house at the bay ... daughter of one of his friends told that he was sick recently and might have been in hospital but she wasn't sure :(

God only knows what is really going on in Fukushima Nuclear Plant ... no reliance on news from me

I think it will be days, perhaps weeks, before we start to really see the extent here.

Here's the city that is missing 9500 people: Minamisanriku sits north a bit from Sendai

More here if you can stand to watch it, but it gives a much better idea what extent the devastation is: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12722187

Edited by Tim B

I don't think we have even begun to see the tip of the iceburg yet. Sendai is the main city being discussed in the news but, there are many other small cities that were even closer to the epicenter and closer to the actual coastline. Plus all the little towns/villages and rural areas where people lived. I fear the death toll to go much higher.

Tim

Indeed. We're also watching NHK and getting a lot of the smaller stories and finding out more about the other places that have been affected that is not so highlighted in the mainstream reporting. Very sad indeed, the scope is beyond comprehension. Not to downplay hurricane Katrina, but this disaster makes that look like a fart in a mud puddle.

On a positive note, I did get a reply from gunjin - he's still with us, but has sustained a lot of property damage. John, thoughts and prayers to you and your family and everyone else affected by this. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

• 11 months later...

To all of our friends, collegues, and fellow collectors in Japan on this one year anniversary of the terrible earthquake and tsunami - you remain in our thoughts and prayers.

• 3 months later...

Hello, everybody! I'm new in the club and was/is very impressed. As a matter of fact I am from Japan also and have experienced that disaster while working at Yokohama area. I remember walking all the home most of the night. All phones were almost dead, can't communicate besides my company I work in. There I was asked? if I could work the next day, while all the trains stopped, no buses, etc. Next day, everything went well, all communication taken cared of and everybody was safe. I or rather we started talking about raising personal? donation activity. Thought about issuing? handing out commercial? medals to those giving? donating us. Well, somebody else or rather people were quick to take action, volunteer workers, children asking for donation, etc. Anybody interested?

Hello! Today I just wanted to write about my personal experiences in/at Tokyo, where I live. Amazingly at the time of the earthquake, I was at a train station in Yokohama. What was amazing was that at/during? the earthquake, I received a phone call informing me to evacuate! Just one phone call, but you should know that smaller earthquakes continued to shake us...phone kept ringing informing us to evacuate counted 30, 40 onwards. Bad thing about this notification is it rings after the quake, most likely. It has not improved, but this year they attached close-by evacuation area, routes. Funny thing is nobody is moving...I mean evacuating, doesn't show much interest? anymore.

Well, the Japanese system is far more advanced and capable than anything we have here in California, which is "earthquake" country, not like Japan though. Still, I can only imagine if something of that magnitude struck California, it'd be total chaos. I remember back to Hurricane Katrina, and how chaotic that was, and the Japanese tsunami really makes Katrina look like a flatulent episode in a mud puddle. In my opinion, the Japanese mentality and Japanese society has evolved in a way that allows Japan to deal with these kinds of things more effectively and efficiently.

Hello! This is this shadowy man from Tokyo, slightly slanted, who hates to comment after Masters of medals, but is urged to do so since reality is not known? exactly as seen here at Japan. There has been a leak? of nuclear whatever... after the earthquake. Tourists/foreigners all escaped? forbidden in the areas. And Tokyo was/is? sort of vacant of tourists for sometime. I think Americans know/knew because nuclear shelters were sold out, I heard at the time. It's very nice space Americans are purchasing I thought. We all need one, not the phones. Please excuse me for the interuption.