News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Was really happy to get this... The cover and Picklehaube of a Reserve Officer in the Grenadier regt 101.

As it is one of the 2 Regts my wifes great grandfather served in as a Lt. d. Res... I was happy to get it :-))))

Here is a question...

On the 15th of August 1914 it was ordered to change the numbers to Green... but not having Harry potter in the Ranks and no "Changeoh!" spell in their pocket... and seeing that the regiments were doing record marches every day.... how long was it before these orders were implemented? I can quite see regiments going into 1915 and still not having green numbers.

The cover here has hooks, but is an officers one, it is what I assume to be a scarce variation without the spike part seperately on with strips of cloth...

Chris,

That is an unusual pattern of Überzug. There is another one shown on Joe Robinson's website in the article on field covers.

Chip

Indeed... for some reason it reminds me of a KKK hood....

Do you have any idea how long into the war units had red numbers? I imagine with the Battle of the frontiers, race to the sea etc. few units had time to stop and chance numbers...

I wonder of some units turned their covers inside out to hide the red.

For the one above... I tend to think it is private purchase, inspite of the hooks...

Best

Chris

Chris,

I assume you are speaking of the Trichter and Haarbusch on the Pickelhaube? This was a parade accessory for the helmet of this regiment.

Regarding the red numbers, I assume that they were just removed when the orders filtered down. My example has small holes, which when held up to the light show it had an "R" with a unit number beneath. I also have a Tschapka cover that has had a #3 removed.

Chip

Edited by Chip

I wonder of some units turned their covers inside out to hide the red.

The timing is an interesting subject.• I think Chip is right. Mostly they were just removed. However there were some anomalies that presented problems.

92%20Brunswick%20Officer%20numbered%20co

For those helmets that had painted numbers as opposed to a cloth numbers one of the options was

the patch!

trawnik%20patch.jpg

uberzug%20cover_1.jpg

this technique was used several times I am not sure how/when it was used in all cases.

Then of course there was the inside out treatment.

m15nouse.jpg

But again this was done in this picture later in the war.

Here is the cover that Chip had mentioned.

13trawniknocloth.jpg

http://www.pickelhauben.net/articles/Uberzug.html

Interesting topic!

Hi Joe,

nice!

I just saw the G-Grandfather was only in the 101 in 1918 so i doubt he ever wore anything like this. Still...

I must admit.. having been rather jaded over the last few years this haube is one of the small things that really excites me.. :-)

• 4 weeks later...
    • 1 year later...

Hi,

I just read an interesting description to a Saxon Helmet on Ebay... it was an officers one and the seller said it must be to the 101st Grenadier regiment as it was the only one with "flat scales" on the chin strap and a Haarbusch... (Ergo screw off spike?)

Is that true?

Best

Chris

• 4 months later...