News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello Dante,

The order of precedence is not correct but sometimes the rules were not always followed by tailors.

The ribbons, devices and hardware look original.

What is the 5th ribbon?

Best wishes

Matt

Hello Dante,

The order of precedence is not correct but sometimes the rules were not always followed by tailors.

The ribbons, devices and hardware look original.

What is the 5th ribbon?

Best wishes

Matt

Well i think its the Russian St George ?? the six I think is Austrian

Well, well...

For starters the yellow ribbon with black stripes must be for the Mobilisierungs-Erinnerungskreuz (1912-13), see http://www.medal-medaille.com/sold/product_info.php?products_id=1070. The sixth should be a Hanseatic Cross of Lübeck, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanseatic_Cross, but worn uncorrectly.

The whole ribbon bar doesn't convince me very much, on the contrary... The combination is odd if not quite improbable, the order of the ribbon wrong, the stitching on the back quite messy and also the sword devices worn up-side-down... There isn't very much I like in this bar. I am sorry.

ciao,

Claudio

Well i think its the Russian St George ?? the six I think is Austrian

I do not think so.

I am quite sure that the Russian Order of St. George has three black stripes, not two.

Incidentally, this ribbon was later used by the Soviet for the Order of Glory and Victory

in Europe medal.

Edited by Wild Card

Russian St. George /Soviet glory etc. had black and orange ribbons, not yellow. Black & yellow (gold) are colors of Austro-Hungarian empire, which was sometimes colloquially called "Black&yellow monarchy". But 1912-13 mobilisation cross had two black stripes on each side of ribbon, what is not like this one. The 5th ribbon here was (supposed to be) probably from some AH long service or jubilee decorations. It would make sense on the bar IF that would be 1908 jubilee cross FOR FOREIGNERS, which was awarded also to members of regiments whose honorary chief was Franz Joseph or some other member of Austrian royal house. If we omit the fact that the proportions of black and yellow stripes on this ribbon are not correct for AH long service/jubilee awards.

Check here:

http://www.medals.pl/at/at1.htm

One more thing I noticed: there appears to be at least two tipes of stitching thread - black (or two blacks - thick and thin?) and some lighter color. Is this just a coincidence (which would rarely happen to professional bar maker, IMHO) or on purpose?

Regards, Valter

Edited by Valter

Guess what? This seems to be a full 40 mm ribbon to the 1898 medal for foreigners..

:banger:

Isn't it?

You meant full size 1912-13 mobilisation cross? Cut or folded in half - that could be an option. If we assume this guy was Austrian, the 6th ribbon could be not Luebeck, but AH 1898 medal for state officials... He could be still on some rear duty during WW2 at his 60-65, earning KVK2OX. But why only 25 years service cross, not 40? Maybe he discontinued service / state employment (hence no AH 1908 jubilee medal)? And what's the 4th blue ribbon? How could he earn Prussian LS if (IF!) he was mobilised in AH army in 1912-13?! This combination seems impossible for me with AH 1912-13 mobilisation cross... or am I missing something?

This is, without a doubt, a Prussian's ribbon bar, and therefore it cannot be Mobilization cross - but they do share the ribbon: Here, it's for the Inhaber-Jubiläumsmedaille

See this very fine thread for it: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=32394

Guest IMHF

Very nice Ribbon bar what did you not like about it; did it come with the Medal Bar? I would love to see the Medal Bar when you have time to post it.

Thank you

Lorenzo

Sascha, you're right. I wasn't aware of this 1908 medal for inhaber-regiments... :banger: It is not listed in several lists of AH decorations and I always thought the sistem is simple: 1898 - medal, 1908 - cross, different ribbons for different recipients and that's it. :speechless: Thanks for explaining this!

And, as the wearer was a Prussian, we can narrow him a little bit down. He must have been in Garde Grenadier Regiment 2 or in Hussar Regiment 16, as these two were the only Prussian ones Franz Joseph was honour chief.

If really like German medal/ribbon bars with this medal/ribbon, and have some smaller (ribbon) bars in my collection, too.

:beer:

and reverse - hooks are maker marked "Nicholis"

Ribbons are:

1. Officer's military merit cross with war decoration OR Signum laudis

2. Bravery medal (klass undistinguishable) OR some other decoration - this is a very common AO ribbon

3. Karl's troop cross

4. 1912-13 mobilisation cross

Edited by Valter