News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

THE SOVIET QUIZ - 2011 - QUIZ CLOSED

I am having the same problem. I can find no Soviet recipients of the Order of the Garter. There are six Russian recipients of the order but as this is a 'Soviet Quiz' I am not sure that there is a way to fit them in. Gunner 1

• Replies 1.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry, that is my biggest mistake. The person related to Russia not Soviet Union. If you accept my apologies...

ANSWER:

PETER THE GREAT, recipient of all mentioned orders, established the Russian Academy of Science...

Dear UB6535,

I felt like I was going to go in circles as soon as I read the question - specifically, the Order of the Garter which I consider to be largely the rich boys (royals) club is in principal, incompatable with the Soviet Union! But I thought I'd learn something new - perhaps one of the marshals of the USSR....contribution to science....that got me really scratching my head.

When I went over the list of the knights of the Order, I realised this was going to be even more tricky! And indeed it was!

Please refer to the rules on post 1. Specifically

"4. The trivia question must have a connection to the Soviet Union & former Eastern Block Countries, as it is the purpose of this Forum. The trivia could involve history, people, awards, badges or items. The trivia question needs to relate to a time-frame. For example, when was this award first established? Or When did East Germany come into existence? [PROPOSED ADDITION - THE QUESTION MUST HAVE A CLEAR ANSWER - A DATE, AN EVENT, A STORY - IT SHOULD NOT HAVE SEVERAL QUESTIONS BUT SHOULD ENCOURAGE ADDITIONAL BACKGROUND TO THE ANSWER. QUIZ HOSTS MAY REQUEST A MEMBER TO NARROW DOWN THE SCOPE OF THE "QUESTION IF TOO MUCH INFORMATION IS REQUESTED. QUESTIONS SHOULD ALSO NOT BE TOO OBSCURE AND SHOULD BE READILY RESEARCHABLE WITHOUT TOO MUCH DIFFICULTY]"

To this effect I suggest that this question is scrapped and that you ask another one within the confines of the Soviet Union. You have given us some very interesting challenges and I have no doubt you will continue to do so.

Jim :cheers:

No changes to the scoreboard!

19 points - JimZ

15 points - Harvey

10 points - Hauptmann

6 points - Christophe

5 points - Gunner 1

4 points - UB6365

3 points - Valter

2 points - kapten_windu

1 point - Tachel

Question 65 above is cancelled and UB6365 will ask a new one! :beer:

I was born in XIX century. In 1830

Place I was born was a subject of contention between many kingdoms. Polish, Lithuanian etc

WW1 brought me shame, WW2 brought me glory. Under Brest Peace treaty (Signed in one of halls of Brest-Litovsk fortress) Soviet Russia lost huge piece of land etc. In 1941 Brest fortress became a symbol of heroism of Russian soldiers.

I am HSU. The decree of 1965.

Scoreboard update!

19 points - JimZ

15 points - Harvey

10 points - Hauptmann

7 points - Christophe

5 points - Gunner 1

4 points - UB6365

3 points - Valter

2 points - kapten_windu

1 point - Tachel

Question 66 is currently open - See above (post 688) :beer:

Yes !! Correct UB6365 !!

It is the Chaika car brand.

I cannot elaborate more now, as I am about to leave, sorry... but will do it later as soon as I come back.

UB6365, you are the winner !!! You get the point !!

You can post a new challenge !! :)))

Ch.

Hi to all,

Here are the explanations about the challenge I posted, and won by UB6365. Congrats again to you, UB6365 !! :jumping: :jumping:

Who am I ?

The car brand Chaika (Ча́йка), a luxury automobile brand from the USSR, made by GAZ.

Chaika production consisted of two generations. The mark 1 Chaika, the GAZ M13, was produced from 1959 to 1981, and is the more famous and more numerous with more than 3,100 examples built during the 22 year production run.

The vintage 1950s-style M13 was succeeded by the more modern Chaika M14 introduced in 1977 (although production of both versions overlapped by several years). The Chaika M14 remained in production from 1977 to 1988, after which point the Chaika limousine brand was ended.

I'm not a bird... Chaika means "seagull" in Russian...

I'm not a play... The famous play of Anton Checkhov, The Seagull...

I'm not a prosecutor... Yuri Yakovlevich Chaika is the current Prosecutor General of Russia...

I am born in 1959 and died before being 40 years old... Produced from 1959 to 1988...

My parents were from the USA... Chaika M13 was visually a near-clone of the 1955 Packard Patrician and Mercury...

Hint #1 : My skin is black, even if some of my sisters could be of different colour... Generally produced in black (official car...).

Hint #2 : each sentence is important. And the three following are linked... See above...

Hint #3 : I'm born in Gorki, today Nizhni Novgorod... GAZ or Gorkovsky Avtomobilny Zavod, translated as Gorky Automobile Plant (ГАЗ or Го́рьковский автомоби́льный заво́д),

Here it is...

Now, back to UB6365's question...

Ch.

Edited by Christophe