News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

THE SOVIET QUIZ - 2011 - QUIZ CLOSED

Scoreboard update!

19 points - JimZ

15 points - Harvey

10 points - Hauptmann

8 points - Christophe

7 points - UB6365

7 points - Gunner 1

3 points - Valter

2 points - kapten_windu

1 point - Tachel

Question 72 belongs to Gunner 1 !!!

• Replies 1.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a further note - I am really OK with sitting out on questions to help the person asking the question set the hints.

Should anyone ever needs help - just send me a PM and I'll help.

That should iron out any language problems. :)

Best of luck to all, and awaiting the next question eagerly.

I am happy to note that things are back in hand again and I hope that brings everyone back to the quiz. As I am in California I am eight or nine hours behind most of you in time. So give me an hour or so and I will get a question on board. Thanks and regards, Gunner 1

Question #72:

I was the first of my kind. Born in the early 1930s, my father was a Hero of Soviet Labor, but even with that background I was often called an ‘ass’.

Who am I? What made me the first of my kind? Why was I called an 'ass'?

Edited by Gunner 1

Airplane Polikarpov I-16.

Ass (ishak), rat (rata)- nicknames of I-16.

The world first cantilever-winged fighter-monoplane with retractable landing gear.

Aircraft designer Polikarpov N.N. became HSL in 1940.

Edited by ub6365

ub6365: Absolutely right! I thought someone would eventually figure out the "ass/donkey" and "rat" hints. It was also called the "fly' (rata) by the Republicans in Spain and the "flying squirrel" (Siipiorava) by the Finns.

For more info see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polikarpov_I-16

Regards, Gunner 1

The order in the photograph is the Order of the Tuvinian People's Republic

Your second question is invalid as a few hundred Tuvinian soldiers participated in the Russian civil war and on 22 May 1943 a Tuvinian Infantry Regiment and Cavalry Squadron began service with the Soviet Army and numerous Tuvinian tankmen were trained by, and served with, the Soviet Army during the Great Patriotic War. One Tuvinian soldier was made a Hero of the Soviet Union.

As 33 Russians and 72 Tuvinians were awarded the Order I would say that it a matter of opinion as to which of those recipients 'was the most famous.' My personal choice would be the Tuvinian soldier who was made an HSU.

Regards, Gunner 1

Edited by Gunner 1

The name of the Tuvinian Hero of the Soviet Union is Adyg-Tulush Baldanovich Kechil-ool, the commander of the Tuvinian Cavalry Squadron that fought with the Russians in the Ukraine.

http://en.tuvaonline.ru/2010/05/20/1900_unitedrussia.html

The order was named correct, but

Tuvinian People's republic did not participated in WW1 and WW2 officially as independent country ( I mean, TPR did not declare war to Germany).

TPR was annexed by SU in 1944.

Most famous person awarded by this order is I.V.Stalin.

Point is going to Gunner...

Edited by ub6365

Scoreboard update!

19 points - JimZ

15 points - Harvey

10 points - Hauptmann

8 points - Christophe

8 points - UB6365

8 points - Gunner 1

3 points - Valter

2 points - kapten_windu

1 point - Tachel

Gunner and UB are neck to neck after the last two questions where they each earned a point. They've also caught up with Christophe. :jumping:

Question 74 now belongs to Gunner 1 !!! :jumping:

Jim :cheers:

Question #74:

I was born in the town that now bears my name. Originally trained at a technical school, I worked as a stoker on river boats, but that is not the occupation in which I became famous. One of the things that first made me famous involved the state of Washington.

Who am I? What is my connection with the state of Washington? What was my final act?

Edited by Gunner 1

I am Valery Pavlovich Chkalov

I was an Aviator who flew from Moscow to Vancouver, Washington in a non stop 63 hour flight

I Died flying a prototype Polikarpov I-180 fighter which crashed suring its test flight.

Scoreboard update!

20 points - JimZ

15 points - Harvey

10 points - Hauptmann

8 points - Christophe

8 points - UB6365

8 points - Gunner 1

3 points - Valter

2 points - kapten_windu

1 point - Tachel

Question 75 will come up tomorrow as its night time here and I am knackered.

Veru glad to have managed to answer this myself....The next big numbers that we should look out for are question #100 and post #1000 on the 2011 Soviet Quiz. :jumping:

Question 75:

Born to an NKVD officer, I lived much of my life overseas.

I reached the higher ranks of my outfit, making history with my rank as I did so.

I fell out of favour and lost my postion, only to have it returned to me within a year. I even made it to the Supreme Soviet.

I was tried, on demand of my subordinate, and was sentenced to imprisonment. I however remain free in the West.

Who am I?

What was my unit?

What about my rank made history?

Why did I fall out of favour and who removed and re-instated me?

Why was I sentenced to imprisonment?

Where do I live?

What terms did I use to describe my subordinate?

Tell us the story of our person....And enjoy the hunt.....

O.Kalugin was a KGB general, head of foreign counterintelligence unit of KGB. Became the youngest KGB general (only 40 years old). As the Soviet Union underwent changes under Mikhail Gorbachev, Kalugin became more vocal and public in his criticism of the KGB, denouncing Soviet security forces as "Stalinist" domestic political police, although he never disputed the importance of espionage abroad. Finally, in 1990, Gorbachev signed a decree stripping Kalugin of his rank, decorations, and pension. In August 1991, Gorbachev returned his rank, decorations and pension. Despite opposition from the KGB, he was elected in September 1990[3] to the Supreme Soviet as a People's Deputy for the Krasnodar region.