News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1939 EK 2 marked 122 - need opinions/valuation please

Hi all,

Need to know if I'm correct that this is a J.J.Stahl, Strassburg... no idea if that's a good maker or run of the miss or what? Also need a valuation if at all possible. Magnetic core (one pic shows a magnet stuck to it as well as showing the edge.

Deeply appreciate any and all help.

Magnet and edge:

Number on ring:

Sorry these are in some ways not the greatest pics but they're all I have to work with. Hoping it will show what needs to be seen to make an evaluation.

Many thanks!!!! :beer:

Dan :cheers:

This seems to be perfectly alright, right down to the incused 122 maker's mark. This J J Stahl crosses are prized by some EK collectors as they are the only officially authorised Iron Crosses, if memory serves me correctly, made outside Germany (of which Austria was a part), bar Japanese variants for naval personnel in the Far East. Germans might have seen Alsace as German but it was an occupied part of France. Here is one of mine.

Hello Dan,

Yes, it's a good original, and as Windu has pointed out, it's not a maker you see everyday.

Straight on photos would help, but I can see it has the typical 'rounded' inner corners of this maker. I assume it also has a small 'hump' where the jump ring is attached to the cross.

Regards - Danny

This seems to be perfectly alright, right down to the incused 122 maker's mark. This J J Stahl crosses are prized by some EK collectors as they are the only officially authorised Iron Crosses, if memory serves me correctly, made outside Germany (of which Austria was a part), bar Japanese variants for naval personnel in the Far East. Germans might have seen Alsace as German but it was an occupied part of France. Here is one of mine.

... Prosper, don't forget Beck, Hassinger & Co., Strassburg (MM '123')!!

Gentlemen, many thanks to you one and all for all your info and help on this! :jumping: :jumping: :beer:

I wrote back to the seller, gave him additional info, opinions, etc., options to sell, etc., and made him an offer which he has accepted. So it will be in hand in about a week/week and a half. Once here I'll do some nice scans with my Epson and pop them up for all to see.

Again couldn't have done it without all your help. You're the GREATEST!!!! :cheers:

Dan :cheers: