News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

One of my Favorite Groups - Guards Lt. Colonel Mikhail Tolkachev

Two questions, firstly how come he did not have a rhomb from the Frunze Academy ? Was he on a lower level course and hence not eligible for one of the white higher academy badges ?

Secondly, I thought that veterans who had been awarded decorations received a 1st class OGPW in 1985, but he has the 2nd class. This is not the first time I have seen this, which seems to go against the written regulations. Anybody able to shed some light on that ?

Regards,

Paul

ps. Beautiful group, it would look wonderful in my collection ! :cheeky:

• Replies 67
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Paul:

Too all: Thanks for the compliments! :beer: (No, this group is not for sale, and probably will never be.) :P

He isn't wearing an academy graduate badge that I remember in his later photo, so I assume that he either 1) did not go to a qualifying course or 2) he may have actually had to apply for one when they were first created and he never bothered doing that for a retroactive one. I have actually never thought about that!

As far as his OGPW2, I really can't answer it. I've owned several groups to veterans with combat awards (including Red Banners, OGPW1 and the like) and they had received 2nd class awards. I think for some areas the vet was simply given whatever was available. Perhaps they ran out or perhaps the issuing facility simply gave him the same as his wife (since she only rated a 2nd class.) No one has yet interviewed any vets to figure out how exactly these awards were given out, so we don't know if they were mailed, if someone came to the vet, if they had to go to the local regional military office and pick it up in person or what. Might be an interesting thing to find out if any of the other members have any local vets that they could ask!

Dave

Two questions, firstly how come he did not have a rhomb from the Frunze Academy ? Was he on a lower level course and hence not eligible for one of the white higher academy badges ?

Secondly, I thought that veterans who had been awarded decorations received a 1st class OGPW in 1985, but he has the 2nd class. This is not the first time I have seen this, which seems to go against the written regulations. Anybody able to shed some light on that ?

Regards,

Paul

ps. Beautiful group, it would look wonderful in my collection ! :cheeky:

• 1 year later...

In celebration of his relocation to a new home, I had hoped to all all of comrade Tolkachev's awards in a single post. He did not allow this, as he got too many things.

First, his screwback and pincback awards.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

The ribboned awards.

The top (mounted) four seem to represent what the veteran chose to wear by preference toward the end of his life. An interesting personal commentary.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

• 1 month later...
    • 3 weeks later...

GREAT group! as a side note check out the 1st pic of the destroyed tank(the 1st tank shot you see with only half of it) its bergpanther a recovery tank and pretty rare to!!! makes the group even better!!!!!!!! :beer:

Which picture? Can do bigger scan.

• 3 months later...
    • 11 years later...