News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Fantastic half a jacket.....

The owner of this jacket is buried in Block1 Grave 292 of the German Military cemetary at Mangiennes at Verdun. He was not wearing this jacket when it was shredded by a French Mortar / Artillery round.

His grave will be my first place to visit on the next Verdun tour.

best

Chris

Amazing that they kept it all these years. Looks like an experiment with Bengal Tiger wrestling that went terribly wrong.

The complete lack of staining suggests to me that no one was wearing it when it was hit. Must have had it out dry during an artillery storm, but I should wait for Chris' story.

• 3 weeks later...

I am busy doing the write up on this....

From another page on Kaisers cross, you can see pretty much how this can happen to a Jacket...

"At 10pm David Haustei was killed by French artillery just 2m's from me, without me noticing it. It was an strange occurrence and unfortunately it must be said he was largely responsible for his own death. In spite of numerous warnings he had spent the day outside the bunker, under direct observation of the French artillery balloons. He spent the afternoon of the 22nd in his under shirt, sitting in the trench, delousing himself. he had taken his jacket off. A salvo of artillery brought him into the bunker where I berated him. after the barrage he went to recuperate his jacket which it turned out, had disappeared, either buried or destroyed by the artillery. At 10pm he went out to dig for it when a salvo landed. I jumped into the bunker, but Haustei was killed by a large splinter in the chest. We did not notice as we thought he had entered the dugout from the other side and we all lay down to sleep. Only when I called for the work detail did we find him, 1.5m from the entrance. The work details could not work in the barrage and the collapsed walls gave the enemy a great view of our positions."

This was in a position hit by a French Trench Mortar.... the man himself was killed in an attack 2 months later, after having sent this home....

• 3 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...