News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

THE SOVIET QUIZ - 2012

JimZ

1. 3 medals :

Medal for the 100th Anniversary of Lenin's Birth

Medal 30th Anniversary of Victory in the Great Patriotic War

Medal 40th Anniversary of Victory in the Great Patriotic War

2. 3 variations :

Military version

Labor version

Foreign version (or foreigners version)

3. The foreign version is the rarest one because of the very few issues of the version for foreigners (members of foreign delegations). Only 5000 of each have been produced to be compared to millions for the other Military or Labor versions.

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

Thanks Jim. :)

Question # 23

Let's stay in the orders, medals, badges field...

I have been established in 1956.

While celebrating the Glory ("... СЛАВA"), I am not an Order...

Under the Soviet Union, I existed in 3 classes, for 20, 15 and 10 years...

After the end of the Soviet Union, one former USSR Republic, now independant, created a 4th Class for 5 years.

Question :

1. What award am I ?

2. Which independant country created a 4th Class ?

The winner will be the first one fully answering both questions.

Good hunt and good luck... :whistle:

Ch.

I think they are the Shtrafbats.

Shtrafbats (штрафбат, штрафной батальон) were Soviet penal battalions that fought on the Eastern Front in World War II.

The shtrafbats were created by Joseph Stalin on July 1942, via Stavka Order No. 227 (Директива Ставки ВГК №227). Order No. 227 was a desperate effort to re-instill discipline after the panicked routs of the first year of combat with Germany. The order—popularized as the "Not one step back!" (Ни шагу назад!, Ni Shagu Nazad!) Order—introduced severe punishments, including summary execution, for unauthorized retreats.

In his order, Stalin also mentioned Hitler's successful use of penal battalions as a means to ensure obedience among regular Wehrmacht units. This observational remark led directly to the creation of a parallel system for the Soviets.

Strafbattalion (English: Penal Battalion) is the generic term for penal units created from prisoners during the Second World War in all branches of the Wehrmacht.

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

Question # 25

Question # 25 is a symbolic one for the Quiz... So...

Who am I ?

Born in the csarist Russia, I fought for her.

My career under the Soviet Union has been very long, nearly 50 years at the same position.

My work was linked to symbols, acknowledgement, fame and glory...

I also made a famous shadow portrait.

Question :

1. Who am I ?

2. Please, post a picture of the famous shadow portrait.

The winner will be the first one to fully answering both questions.

Ch.

UB, excellent !!! :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

You win !!! :beer:

Ivan Ivanovich Dubasov (Russian: Иван Иванович Дубасов) (30 November 1897, Odintsovo, Moscow Oblast – 15 March 1988, Moscow) was a Russian artist active in the Soviet Union.

He was the head artist of the Goznak from 1932 to 1971 and was made an Honored Artist of the RSFSR in 1959. He developed sketches and designs for multiple Soviet banknotes, stamps, orders, medals, awards and decorations over several decades. Ivan Dubasov was awarded the Order of Lenin (1945), the Order of the Red Banner of Labour (1951), the Order of the Badge of Honour and a number of other medals and decorations.

The famoous shadow portrait of Lenin has been designed on 27 January 1924, and - amongst others - used for stamps...

More details in the Russian Wikipedia :

ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Дубасов,_Иван_Иванович

UB, your turn, now...

Ch.

Question # 26.

I am not real. I am a character from the famous books by soviet writer, in particular trilogy (and hero of 6 movies).Trilogy and movies (although last movie was made in 2004) were a part of communist propaganda, targeting specific group of Soviet society.

Actually I am not a hero, I am anti-hero. In last part of trilogy I visited "other" world ( "other" in two meanings).

Question:

The first meaning is capitalist world, what is the second? And of course, please name me...

I am Dunno, or Know-Nothing (Russian: Незнайка, Neznayka; from the Russian phrase "не знаю", don't know) is an anti-hero created by the Soviet children's writer Nikolay Nosov.

Dunno, recognized by his bright blue hat, canary-yellow trousers, orange shirt, and green tie, is the title character of Nosov's world-famous trilogy, The Adventures of Dunno and his Friends (1954), Dunno in Sun City (1958), and Dunno on the Moon (1966). There have been several movie adaptations of the books.

The "other" world is the moon.

Dunno on the Moon

Znayka discovers that his moon rock (that he obtained from his previous travel to the Moon) creates a no gravity zone when interacting with a magnetic field. He uses this knowledge to build a rocket ship that will go to the moon much more easily because of being virtually weightless. However, Dunno and Ponchik are not allowed to go; Dunno , because of his undisciplined behavior, and Ponchik, because of his inability to cope with non-gravity effects. The night before the rocket launch, Dunno and Ponchik sneak into the ship and accidentally launch the rocket.

When they arrive on the moon, Dunno and Ponchik become separated and Dunno falls through a cave and discovers a whole separate society of mites living inside the moon. However, unlike on Earth, these mites do not have "giant food" (that is, their fruit and vegetables are sized in proportion to the mites, rather than to normal humans like on Earth). The moon society is a corrupt capitalistic state: the millionaires control all the factories and squander their money away on unnecessary luxuries, the police is violent, corrupt, and stupid, everyday citizens struggle to survive and live in rat infested barracks.

Dunno gets thrown into jail for not having money to pay for his meal at a restaurant and is mistaken for a wanted criminal by the stupid police officers. In jail he meets Miga - a fast-talking schemer, and Kozlik - a poor, gentle worker. Upon getting released from jail, Miga introduces Kozlik and Dunno to Zhulio - another con man, and the four decide to start a company selling stocks to raise money to get "giant seeds" from Dunno's rocket ship and plant them on the moon. The stocks sell well and soon the four friends have lots of money. However, some of the local millionaire businessmen are worried that giant food will mean that poor workers can get richer and the millionaires may lose money. Their leader, Spruts, convinces Miga and Zhulio to steal the money and run leaving Dunno and Kozlik jobless and penniless.

Meanwhile, Ponchik finds the same cave and also goes inside the moon. However, he quickly discovers salt and opens his own business making and selling it. He becomes a millionaire but then becomes bankrupt when the price of salt becomes too low. Then Ponchik becomes an average worker.

Dunno and Kozlik work odd jobs but are still starving and living in poverty in a rat infested basement. Kozlik gets bit by a rat and becomes sick. Just then, Dunno gets a job as a dog nanny for a rich woman and makes enough money for a doctor for Kozlik who slowly recovers, but the rich woman finds out that Dunno took her dogs to the rat infested basement and fires him. Dunno and Kozlik then end up living on the street. Since Kozlik has lost his hat and Dunno lost his shoes they are breaking the law and get sent to Fool's Island which has a toxic gas that turns all the people there into sheep which are then sheared for their wool.

Later Dunno's friends come to Moon with giant seeds, which results in elimination of poverty and establishment of a communism-like economical system.

Movies :

• Dunno goes to school, a 1961 movie
    • Dunno in Sun City, a 1977 movie
    • Dunno from our neighborhood, a 1983 movie
    • Dunno on the Moon, a 1997 movie
    • Dunno on the Moon 2, a 1999 sequel to the 1997 movie
    • Dunno and Barrabass, a 2004 movie that combines two previously unrelated characters into an original story.

Ch.

Question # 27 :

We are four, making all together one world famous sight of Moscow.

For more than 400 years, History has given us a lot of occasions to be damaged (1626, 1737, 1812, 1917) and to be restored (1706, 1767, 1851, 1913, 1918, 1932, 1974, 1999).

Russian and Soviet leaders, including Peter the Great, Lenin, Stalin, Yeltsin... always paid us a special attention.

One of us is depicted on 4 Soviet awards : fully visible on 3 awards, and partially shown on 1 award.

Question :

1. Who or what are we ?

2. Please, post a picture of these 4 Soviet awards.

The winner will be the first one to give right and complete answer to both questions.

Ch.

Edited by Christophe