News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi gents, I recently purchased this from Klaus Butscheck, and it is described as a Bayern Ordensschleifen 8er. First of all, is this an Ordensschleifen or a Bandschleifen? Secondly, can anyone help me to catalog all the ribbons please? Thanks!

Hello Troy,

I´ll try it

- Iron Cross 2. Class 1914

- Bavarian Military Merit Cross

- Hanseatencross Hamburg

- Mecklenburg Military Merit Cross

- Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer

- ID so not possible

- ID so not possible

- commemorative medal WW 1 Bulgaria

I guess that the two other ones are the commemorative medals from Austria an Ungaria

Greatings

Andreas

Thank you Andreas! This is the photo from the sale, when it arrives I will take a photo showing ribbons number six and seven more clearly. I appreciate your help here! On another note, would it have been possible for someone to have earned medals from all those different states/countries?

Thank you Andreas! This is the photo from the sale, when it arrives I will take a photo showing ribbons number six and seven more clearly. I appreciate your help here! On another note, would it have been possible for someone to have earned medals from all those different states/countries?

Hello:

Yes, it was entirely possible for such awards to have been made depending on the unit in which the soldier served or the particular duties that they had. The Austrian, Hungarian, and Bulgarian World War Commemorative Medals were available in the 1930's to soldiers who had served in the World War, submitted an application for the award, and payed the required fee. The same situation existed for the Honor Cross for Frontfighters. The first four (4) awards however were usually combat-related and were awarded upon recommendation of the Commanding Officer. In 1914 the EKII the was very prestigious, by 1918 if a soldier DIDN'T have one, they were unusual.

I believe that "Ordensschleifen", "Bandschleifen", or "Ordensbandschleifen" would all describe this ribbon group adequately.

Best regards

Edited by Schießplatzmeister

For an officer, there are a number of ways. For an enlisted man, it was less common.

Assuming Andreas is correct on his ribbon IDs, a scenario would be: native of Hamburg, living in Bavaria, serving in the Bavarian 21. Infanterie-Regiment. He gets the Iron Cross because he is German, the Bavarian Military Merit Cross because he is in the Bavarian Army, the Hamburg Hanseatic Cross because he is a native Hamburger, and the Mecklenburg Military Merit Cross because the Inhaber of his regiment was the Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin.

Edited by Dave Danner

• 1 month later...

Hello Troy,

I´ll try it

- Iron Cross 2. Class 1914

- Bavarian Military Merit Cross

- Hanseatencross Hamburg

- Mecklenburg Military Merit Cross

- Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer

- ID so not possible

- ID so not possible

- commemorativemedal WW 1 Bulgaria

I guess that the two other ones are the commemorative medals from Austria an Ungaria

Greatings

Andreas

Hi Andreas

It has finally arrived, and here are the photos of ribbon number 7

Hi Troy,

From what I can see those are Luipold Jubilee medal and a bavria long service decoration. Unfortunately there were two types of the Luitpold medal were awarded on the same ribbon, one in 1905 and the other in 1911, so it is near impossible to tell which. The bavarian service medals were also all awarded on the same ribbon, but if he was an officer, as suggested by Dave Danner, the most likely candidate is the 24 year service cross.

You can find more details about the Luipold Jubilee Medal at this link: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/10260-bayern-prinz-regent-luitpold-jubilaeums-medaille/page__p__463874__hl__+luitpold%20+medal#entry463874

and more details about the bavaria service medals and crosses here: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/33516-confusion-about-bavarian-service-distinction-cross/

Apart from that, really nice bandschleifen. I really like the mecklenburg and hanseatic military awards.

Regards,

Matthew

Hi Matt

Thanks for those links mate, they're a good read, and thanks for filling in what number 6 and 7 were. I'm glad you like my 8er bandschliefen, I paid 22.83 euros for it from Klaus Butschek. Not sure if that's too much, but I'm happy with it and that's the main thing!