News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bulgarian Order for Bravery 1941

• 4 weeks later...

A collector gave me some data that I would compare.

Class IV 2nd grade : 1.851 and 1st grade only 77.

What do you think? High figures?. Some of them were used by germans.

Thank you.

I checked the book and the numbers in it are very different from what your friend told you.

According to the "Military Order For Bravery" table in Appendix 2 the following quantities of Bravery order were awarded from 1880 to 1908:

1st class - 14

2nd class - 12

3rd class - 39

4th class - 243

There was no division of 3rd and 4th classes in to Grade 1 and Grade 2 at the time, it only came in place in 1915.

I found waht your friend meant. On page 79 (my edition is from 2002):

During the final stages of WWII in 1944-45 following numbers of Bravery order were awarded:

1st class - 1

3rd class 2nd grade - named 5 generals and others,

4th class - total of 1928, including:

4th class 1st grade - 77

4th class 2nd grade - 1851

12 people received both grades of 4th class.

• 3 months later...

I found waht your friend meant. On page 79 (my edition is from 2002):

During the final stages of WWII in 1944-45 following numbers of Bravery order were awarded:

1st class - 1

3rd class 2nd grade - named 5 generals and others,

4th class - total of 1928, including:

4th class 1st grade - 77

4th class 2nd grade - 1851

12 people received both grades of 4th class.

Of these 77 and 1851 orders delivered, are all to Bulgarian soldiers , or Bulgarians and Germans ...? What do you think ? I think that only the Bulgarian soldiers.

• 1 month later...

Hi Iver,

Well done

It is a very nice old miniature of the 4th Class 2nd Grade

It is rare because it is double sided

Also it looks like it is from the first Emmiassion with "7 dots" This emmission did not have 1st Grade of the 4th Class

Check for any silver or maker marks - on the ring

Regards

Graf

Hi Graf..

thank you for informations, this miniature dont belong to me, i thought about buying it, but is already sold (and i am not the one who bought it)... :( I have forgotten about the auction end...

Hi everybody !

Just to keep the topic going - here is a 4th class 1 st grade which I got a few days ago.

It is not in perfect condition, but I like it.

Is it possible to name a manufactorer ? Is it of Bulgarian origine or made by a foreign company ?

Regards

jaeger7

Hi,

I do not like to upset you however it looks someone has tried to created history.

The 1941 Models were made in Germany and the quality was excellent. Most of them were given to German Officers

This one looks like a Republican issue -Bulgarian maker and with added central ring (with 1941)

Compare this one with the New World posting.

There is something that bothers me about this Order Sorry.!

Graf

Hello Graf,

you did not upset me - I would like to learn more about Bulgarian orders...

This piece does clearly show a lower quality than some other 1941 4th classes - therefor my question about the maker.

I got this piece really cheap - the dealer had no idea what it was and it came from the estate of a former German officer, unfortunatly without any papers.

If it has been made up from two pieces - than it has not been done to fool the collector - maybe it was a replacment for the damaged awarded cross made on behalf of the owner ... ?

Lots of maybes, maybe...

Regards

jaeger7

Hi Jaeger7,

It is obvious that there are two pieces . The back cover disc is missing

The Order is not fake.

It has the features of the low quality made Regency/republican Models - at the end of WW2 and after

During this period Bulgaria switched sides and went to War with Germany, later became a Peoples Republic.

Therefore it is very unlikely this to be replacment piece.

During WW2 -1941 Model was made in Germany and the qality was extremly good. It is very likely that the FirmC.F. Zimmermann, Pforzheim, because quite a good number of damaged Bulgarian items were recovered from the damaged by fire factory of this firm.

After Bulgaria switched the sides and went to war with Germany the Orders was made by Bulgarian private makers and the quality droped significantly.

I suspect because the 1941 Model demands beter prices, that someonr tried to "upgrade" a republican Model to WW2 one.

Unfortunately, thre are few pieces at the moment on the market of "upgraded" bulgarian Orders This topic was discussed in the Forum ''"fake Bulgarian Orders"

...or as you said the original 1941 Order was demaged and the central part was adapted to a republican Model, however i doubt that it was done by the German Officer.

This is just my opinion ..what is the truth.. only the person who did it knows

Best

Graf