News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Question - One Man - Two World Wars - Three Medal Bars

What's the medal hanging on the middle medal bar below the blue ribbon?

I was offered this three medal bar convolute from one man for 380 Euro. It was explained to me the bottom bar - EK2 + Hindernburg Cross, he got in WW1.

The middle medal bar (to me the most interesting) he had made as he was by the Freikorp / Veterans, first is EK2, next Naval Corps Flandern Cross above which the metal ribbon bar reads "Seekrieg" (not clear on picture) I was wondering what the third medal hanging on the blue ribbon with the metal bar "13 Torp. B. Halbflott" certainly naval, but what it for ? the fourth missing medal - Kyffhäuser veteran medal.

Top Medal Bar -EK2, KVK, Hindernberg Cross he had in WW2.

You're right, the middle bar is interesting, you don't often see the 'Seekrieg' spange on the Flandernkreuz. The next one is the 'Treu dem Regiment' cross, a veteran's award, again with a somewhat unusual clasp for torpedo boat service. Note that this is navy, so the ribbon for this one is quite different than the army awards.

I would guesse the Bars MAY be from the same guy, but the medals replaced?

It was a lot of money back then to always buy a new one with new medals.... usually a tailor would make a ribbon bar, but slavage the old medals and remount them... not all guys were made of money back them.

Best

Chris

IMO extremely overprized.

What in your opinion would be a more realistic price ?

To me personally, the clasp is the thing of most interest "13 Torpedo Boat. Halbflott" = Half Fleet, would anyone know what exactly a Half Fleet was ?

Regards

• 10 months later...

Should you be prepared to sell them, I would be ready to pay USD 500.00 for the lot, provided you could get close-ups of the SEEKRIEG clasp and of the reverse of the bars as well...

Jean-Sam.

Guest Rick Research

In 1914 the XIII. Torpedoboots Halbflotille was HALF of the VII. Torpedobootsflotille, the other HALF being the XIV. The XIII. then had torpedo boats "S 14," "S 15," "S16," "S 17," and "S18." A Kapitänleutnant commanded each Half Flotille, with an Oberleutnant or Leutnant skippering each boat. The whole Flotilla was commanded by a Korvettenkapitän. They were operated as halfs for tactical reasons.

In 1914 the XIII. Torpedoboots Halbflotille was HALF of the VII. Torpedobootsflotille, the other HALF being the XIV. The XIII. then had torpedo boats "S 14," "S 15," "S16," "S 17," and "S18." A Kapitänleutnant commanded each Half Flotille, with an Oberleutnant or Leutnant skippering each boat. The whole Flotilla was commanded by a Korvettenkapitän. They were operated as halfs for tactical reasons.

Thank you for bringing these details... which certainly increase the price of this specific group!

... Note to the lucky owner: I am still interested...!!! ;)

Jean-Sam.