News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Thriving Purple Heart market has fans and foes

JPL

In June, the High Court ruled that the Stolen Valor Act infringed on free speech – even if that speech was fraudulent and uttered by fake war heroes. (On Sept. 13, the U.S. House of Representatives passed a more narrowly focused version of the Stolen Valor Act that will allow criminal prosecutions against individuals who “knowingly” misrepresent their military service records “with the intent to obtain anything of value.”)

Meanwhile, the Purple Heart market remains open for business. How do those cherished awards typically reach the storerooms of military memorabilia dealers? Medal peddlers often find them at yard sales, flea markets or on sites like Craigslist.

Read the complete article: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/18/13931135-medal-peddlers-thriving-purple-heart-market-has-fans-and-foes

Jean-Paul

• 1 month later...

Have to agree Guys, we are guardians of other peoples medals and their family history. What I wouldn't give to get my hands on the family medals I was promised in the past but never saw? As it is I have a collection of named and numbered medals and wonder why the original owners of these ever let them go?

That, in the end, is always the basic unanswerable question.

Plenty of old soldiers sell or throw their awards away.

It is harder for collectors to understand than for the soldiers themselves.

When I left the army I traded lots of my stuff and souveniers for stuff for my German collection... Really regret that.

At the same time a guy in my section used to throw away all his certificates for awards and badges... saw no reason to keep them. Twice after ceremonies I found his certificate in the garbage in our room.

Then there are the old soldiers who give them to collectors who they think care about the items... and a few months later the items are on the market....

There are many, many reasons :-(

• 2 weeks later...

My mother-in-law recently threw everything out, she needed room and couldn't wait for me to get there 2 months later. The items were mainly documents, souvenirs and photos from both world wars.

None of it was US related but it's an example of why these items are found in rubbish bins and skips.

Tony