News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Small Japanese Collection

azyeoman

A WWII Japanese collection wouldn't be complete without a signed flag. This one has the following written on it.

"Good luck for Bravery"

"Believe firmly and serve your country."

"Seven lives, serve your country seven times."

Mr. Sakata

Signatures from the entire Sakata family.

Edited by azyeoman

The last of the collection... all matching numbers on the rifle (down to the firing pin!) and brought home during the war by a US pilot who flew the hump. If anyone can translate the Kanji on the helmet, I'd be very apprciative.

The latest addition is an antique Japanese army sake cup, decorated with a rising sun, a branch of cherry blossoms, and the words "Term Fulfillment commemoration". The words on the back are "27th Infantry Regiment" and the soldier's name Hurukawa. The cup is boxed in an original wooden box and there's a full name Takahashi Kanbei on a slip who might be the person who ordered it.

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Sweet! I love sake cups, though I only collect those of the Russo-Japan War flavor. Cups are especially cool when they have names on them and even better when you can get the boxes! Nice collection!

Nice Nagoya rifle too. Does the dust cover number match too? If so, super-tasty!! :beer:

Sweet! I love sake cups, though I only collect those of the Russo-Japan War flavor. Cups are especially cool when they have names on them and even better when you can get the boxes! Nice collection!

Nice Nagoya rifle too. Does the dust cover number match too? If so, super-tasty!! :beer:

Thank you. I know some of them have names, but I can't read Japanese. Regarding the Nagoya rifle, every number matches! :-)

• 3 years later...

military reservist assoc badges the 4 coloured ones are for officers the blue one is the highest rank the orange one the lowest, the star over the anchor on these badges usually indicates reservist items

the small badge with the rising sun and anchor with the pink cherry blossom is a naval institute special member badge

• 5 years later...

Here are a couple of items that I would very much appreciate any help in translating.  The first is for a WWI Campaign Medal and the second is for a photograph with an inscription on the reverse.  It appears that the photo is of a young man who was awarded the WWI Campaign Medal who it would seem was in the army as he is wearing a marksmanship badge.  Again, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

WWI Japanese Campaign Medal Certificate.jpeg

Japanese soldier photo obverse.jpeg

Japanese soldier photo reverse.jpeg

Nice doc.

Medal "1914-20" was awarded on November 1, 1920 to 

陸軍工兵特務曹長 - Army special duty military engineer sergeant major

小林由兵衞  - Yuhei Kobayashi

He was also awarded with 7th class Rising Sun order and 7th class Golden Kite order.

Photo (also quite nice, note the position of the marksmanship badge - this is early style of wearing, later these badges will be worn under the uniform pocket) depicted a different person.

Best,

Nick

P.S. I am not very good in running hand handwriting. His name could be Gendō Tsūjirō and he is wearing 1894-95 Sino-Japanese War Medal.

Edited by JapanX

49 minutes ago, JapanX said:

Nice doc.

Medal "1914-20" was awarded on November 1, 1920 to 

陸軍工兵特務曹長 - Army special duty military engineer sergeant major

小林由兵衞  - Yuhei Kobayashi

He was also awarded with 7th class Rising Sun order and 7th class Golden Kite order.

Photo (also quite nice, note the position of the marksmanship badge - this is early style of wearing, later these badges will be worn under the uniform pocket) depicted a different person.

Best,

Nick

P.S. I am not very good in running hand handwriting. His name could be Gendō Tsūjirō and he is wearing 1894-95 Sino-Japanese War Medal.

Thanks Nick!  I really appreciate it!!! Do most certificates indicate the other medals or decorations that were awarded to the recipient?  I am very happy to learn of his other medals. Thanks very much again! John

Yes, early documents from Meiji and Taisho eras always indicate recipient previous grades of orders (if he had one). The only problem is that in these indications Rising Sun order is indistinguishable from Sacred Treasure order.

Best,

Nick

Hello Nick,

Please excuse the ignorance of my question, as I know nothing about award documents, but why is it that in this (these) instance(s) the indications of Rising Sun orders and Sacred Treasure orders are indistinguishable? Just trying to pick-up a bit of knowledge.

Thank you, as always.

Tracy

image.thumb.jpeg.a6b780e0f2a6756b08a6b3816d2bd2ca.jpeg

Yellow 七等 - 7th class sacred treasure or rising sun order (since he was awarded with Golden Kite with almost 99% probability he also got simultaneously 7th class rising sun order) 

Red 七級   - 7th class golden kite

Best,

Nick

• 2 weeks later...
    35 minutes ago, TracA said:

Azyeoman,

Beautiful badge. It is always a great bonus when you also have the case.

Any idea what the badge is for?

Tracy

Hi Tracy,

It's a Japanese Labour Badge.  Here's an excellent thread on it. 

Edited by azyeoman

16 hours ago, TracA said:

Azyeoman,

Thanks. If you intended to insert a URL to the thread, then for some reason the URL didn't come through.

All the best,

Tracy

See if this works. : )  Cheers, jl

Here's something else that's recently arrived.

Japanese Lacquered Sake Cup (Sakazuki) for the China Incident
    This is a vintage Japanese wooden lacquered sake cup, sakazuki. It is written as a sake cup that was given to him when he was discharged from the Kanazawa Army Hospital after being injured in the China Incident War.
    •    Japanese wooden lacquered sake drinking cup, sakazuki
    •    China Incident War 
    •    Words on the box: Sowa 16. Oct. 5th. Wood cup, Discharged from Kanazawa Army Hospital
    •    Words on the sakazuki: Victory/ Kanazawa Army Hospital/ Commemoration of the China Incident
    •    Wood
    •    Item weight: 35 grams
    •    Packed weight: 235 grams
    •    C1941
    •    Approx. 9 cm wide x 3 cm tall
    •    Acquired from a home in Gifu, Japan

Saki 1.jpeg

Saki 4.jpeg

Saki 3.jpeg

Saki 10.jpeg

Saki 11.jpeg