News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bugaria- Order of St. Alexander ?

Hej! I was thinking it was III class, which come without star. Now, thanks to you, I understand it is I class. Great! Thanks!

About the identification. The label n the box is in Italian. Could this indicate that the recipient was an Italian subject? I mean I don't expect that Bulgarian awards should come by default with label in Italian. Or am I wrong again? :)

Language on the label from the bottom of the box is Italian and the label looks old (likely from the period when this was awarded), so it's possible the recipient was from Italy. But you also have label on the front of the box with Number 4, perhaps inventory label from a museum or an auction. So, Italian awardee could be wrong guess. 

As for the period - the set was made during Tsar Ferdinand time, between 1908 and 1918.

That's as much as you can get in terms of the name - an Italian recipient from 1908-1918.

Hi Egorka,

The Order of St Alexander is one of the most beautiful ones and also could be the most confusing one for a novice collector.

Te Set you presented in My opinion was presented in the early years of King Boris III period

It is 1st Class The Box is an early Boris III emission, however the Star and the Cross are from an earlier period of his father King Ferdinand (more likely left over Sets from this Period as it was a common practice during this period) 

It is so called Kings Model and was awarded from 1908 -1944

To have a better idea

Here are the Classes during this period:

Grand Cross - Star and a Cross  (width 55 mm) with a Red Sash with a rosette- Both Star and a Cross are with White enamel

1st Class - Star with a Cross ( width 50-51 mm) with a Red Sash with black edges -Both Star and a Cross are with Green Enamel

2nd Class -Star and a Cross (width 50-51 mm ) with a red neck ribbon -Both Star and a Cross are with White enamel

3rd Class - Only Cross without Star - Cross (width 50-51 mm) is with a Green enamel with a lion in the central medallion and with a red neck ribbon

4th Class - Cross (width 38-39 mm) with a White enamel and red ribbon Austrian Type triangular ribbon with an Officer rosette for a breast wearing- Cross is Gilded

5th Class  - Cross (width 38-39 mm) with White enamel and red ribbon as 4th Class but not rosette - Cross is Silver not gilded

6th Class - (width 38-39 mm) Cross is entirely made of Silver - No Enamel

The label indicates that the awarded person is an Italian, which is quite understandable since King Boris III has as a wife the daughter of Italian King Victor Emanuel. We can assume that many high ranking persons could have been awarded the highest Bulgarian Orders and Decorations

I hope this will make it a little bit more clear for you

BTW Very nice Set