News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Alan,

You have got a very nice ribbon bar. I thinkk that this bar is a good wartime ribbon bar even if there is no Swords on Saxon ribbons. This is the same for the Reuß ribbon.

so if it is the case, there is two possibilities. but I have no Mecklemburg rolls in my hand to be sure.

Oblt Wolfgang Müller

Lt Sartorius Frhf von Waltershausen (who died in 1916).

Christophe

Waltershausen did not have the MMV2. There are way too many Müllers with only a last name. Also, my MMV2 list ends in Sept. 1917, so there could be even more Müllers. This of course does not matter for Frhr. v. Waltershausen, who was already dead.

Also, I am way behind on updating my Reuß lists, but I have come across a few more Saxons with the order. I will be in Greiz later this year and will possibly find more. None had the MMV2, so they aren't relevant to this ribbon bar.

And I can't tell you how many Saxon orders I have found in Wehrmacht personnel files which were not in Rothe's books. This is especially the case with late-war awards of the SV3bX. So there still may be other potentials out there.

Another point I have forgotten. If the Saxon ribbons were peacetime, they were after the EK2 ribbon not before.

Christophe

This is a good point, and one that makes the bar that more interesting for me.Thankyou

Hi Alan,

You have got a very nice ribbon bar. I thinkk that this bar is a good wartime ribbon bar even if there is no Swords on Saxon ribbons. This is the same for the Reuß ribbon.

so if it is the case, there is two possibilities. but I have no Mecklemburg rolls in my hand to be sure.

Oblt Wolfgang Müller

Lt Sartorius Frhf von Waltershausen (who died in 1916).

Christophe

Waltershausen did not have the MMV2. There are way too many Müllers with only a last name. Also, my MMV2 list ends in Sept. 1917, so there could be even more Müllers. This of course does not matter for Frhr. v. Waltershausen, who was already dead.

Also, I am way behind on updating my Reuß lists, but I have come across a few more Saxons with the order. I will be in Greiz later this year and will possibly find more. None had the MMV2, so they aren't relevant to this ribbon bar.

And I can't tell you how many Saxon orders I have found in Wehrmacht personnel files which were not in Rothe's books. This is especially the case with late-war awards of the SV3bX. So there still may be other potentials out there.

Thank you Christophe and Dan,

Actually, we have a candidate. Rick L and I compared the Mecklenburg and Saxon awards, and came up with a very good possibility:

Prehn, Thomas, Dr. jur.
    * 20. Sept. 1887 in Tannroda

Dr. jur., Univ. Leipzig, in 1911

Lt.d.R., Res.-Jäg.-Btl. 13

• Saxony: Albrechtsorden, Ritterkreuz 2, Kl. mit Schwerten, awarded on 25.5.16

• Saxony: Verdienstorden, Ritterkreuz 2, Kl. mit Schwerten, awarded on 13.10.16

• Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Militärverdienstkreuz 2. Klasse, gazetted on 26.4.15

Given the connection between JB 13/RJB 13 and the prince of Reuss, the Reuss decoration is certainly possible, but, as noted, we may not be able to confirm. And there could be other Saxon recipients of the MMV2 not yet identified. But right now Herr Dr. Prehn seems like a good guess.

Regards,

Dave

Guest Rick Research

No swords on ANY of the ribbons in this case is probably just a fashion choice. The initial M1915/M1916 ribbon bars were an odd assortment, before anyone figured out how TO attach devices. The early experimental fastening style was

pronged UNDER the ribbons and thus making a nasty "bump" up on TOP of the metal backing. Many of those snagged on overcoats etc and ripped the devices out. I've got bars (probably posted years ago in these back pages) with no devices at all that had to have had them for the full sized awards.

Still not online (actually, awaiting Frankenstein repair return of computer) but we Research Gnomes can still do this sort of thing the Olde Fashioned way... by paper and Mister bell's Invention.