News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My grandfather (Opa) was a WWI vet who was wounded. He was brought into the Luftwaffe as medic. He was part of the Anschluss of Checkislovakia, invasion /occupation of France, in the Crimea and apparently also flew wounded out of Stalingrad before it fell.

My questions:

1. Were Luftwaffe medical troops attached to Wehrmacht units?

2. What units flew wounded out of Stalingrad ?

3. Would a 40 year old man be activated into active duty before the war or would he have volunteered?

4. How can I find out about Opa's service (WWI and WWII). I do not have his Soldbuch.

5. Are there any data bases to find him listed?

Thanks paul

I do not know of any instances were LW medical units were attached to Heer formations as a primary medical support component.

Before the war, most folks who were in the military at age 40 were career military with many years under their belt. I do not think that there were any new recruits of that age who were accept into the military. During the build up, I feel that they were accepted under limited circumstances, if they met the physical requirements. Most folks of this age were accepted as Officials, if they had needed specialty training.

Is there anything more you can tell us about him? Do you know his LW rank? Do you know about any of his awards?

Opa was a Feldwebel. 2 decorations I know of were his Chechislovakia medal (as part of the troops that marched in) and his Bronze iron Cross 1914-1918 which was given to all who served in WWI. Unit documentation and Soldbuch I do not have . A lot was destroyed in Bombing raids. I have a picture of him in front of a house in France 1940, and a few others in Germany with dates.

After WWI he joined the Red Cross and was active there. Maybe because of training in the medical areas made him a critical MOS (Military occupation specialty).

What is WASt ????