News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

VC for Sale - Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Watson

For those who have a bit of spare cash on hand:

A RARE Victoria Cross awarded to a brave British Army officer who only stopped fighting when he fainted from blood loss is expected to sell for £160,000. Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Watson was serving in India in 1897 when 10,000 Pashtun tribesmen lay siege to his garrison. Lieut Col Watson, of the Royal Engineers, rounded up a group of soldiers and led them in a charge but they met heavy resistance. The officer was hit in the thigh trying to clear the “murderous warriors”. But he insisted on going back. His Victoria Cross, the highest military decoration for valour in the face of an enemy, has been passed down the family who are now selling it with other medals and personal letters on June 19.

David Erskine-Hill, of London auctioneers Dix Noonan and Webb, said: “The North West Frontier was so often the scene of savage fighting and heavy casualties in the days of the Empire. “And the story behind Thomas Watson’s VC epitomises the very nature of that fighting – a small hillside village, surrounded by overwhelming numbers of hostile tribesmen, and a remarkable band of British and Indian troops who held on against all the odds.

To see a picture of the reverse of this VC along with the complete story: http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/405889/On-sale-VC-awarded-for-selfless-bravery-at-siege

Jean-Paul

• 11 months later...

Probably ended up in Lord Ashcroft's collection. I haven't even seen the real thing and he owns over 10% of the total awarded to date. Good for him! The only one he has in his own hands, however, is an unissued, genuine V.C. that he bought for himself as a Christmas present " at a modest price because it had been unissued " and it now sits " on a dsk in my house ". Wow!

Mike

Wow, come on lotto win! 1 in a bigilion chances I win the jackpot tonight :D hehehe :)

If it happens, you can bet I'll be attending :D (will they let the VC leave the country and go to Canada? :D lol Or take your money and be like "it can't leave the UK, never!! :D) Like they did with Jane Austin's ring that Kelley Clarkson purchased? :D

Oh, I'm sure it will go for above estimates. With a piece like this the auction house can afford to low ball it and then say 'See how much better...' Good marketing that. I suppose the good side of Lord Ashcroft is that the medals will be safe forever, as it appears they are all destined for the NAM in the end.