News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The cost of a 1914 EK2....

The cost used to be something along the lines of "although being seriously wounded, he killed two poor sods who were just as unhappy to be in the trench as he was... so we give him a medal"....

Now it seems to be "EUR35 average price..."

I remember getting them for DM15 at a show.... some of you guys go back even furhter...

Nowdays I see them for EUR50....60... or more.....

How has it changed over the last 10 years... where are the prices headed? are certain makers commanding super premium prices?

Best

Chris

Where are they headed.........through the roof !!!!!!!!!!!!! With the 100 year anniversary approaching, every Tommy, Yank, Johann and Andre is wanting a part of the action, driving up the price. You can do one of two things.............sell out at a nice profit or wait till it's all over and buy at a nice price from those who paid too much for an interest soon gone. Well, there is a third thing you could do, box it all up and send it to a museum. If you decide to go that route, let me know and I'll send you my address. :cheeky:

Looks like two of us had the same thought at the same time (check out the "Posted" times.

Brian

My long lost twin brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How's it feel to be a good looking ladies man as me??????????????? :whistle:

Edited by E Williams

Iron crosses were originally extremely cheap, given the varieties of makers there is certainly a good collecting theme to be had and I suspect there must be several collectors trying to collect by manufacturer hence some of the less frequently encountered manufacturers will realise higher prices. If anything the centenary of the Great War may open the floodgates (if the bicentenary of Trafalgar is anything to go by) and the amount of material on the market may if anything depress the market for all but the rarer pieces.

Paul

Grossly overpriced, all of the ones I have, I paid no more than 10GBp, I think the total EKII's awarded were over 6 million, if correct that's a big bag full of gongs, even after all this time, even allowing for inflation, the price, which I am sure will rocket due to the centenary, will reach silly proportions. Collectors, being collectors will seek out the "Rare" manufacturers, but in the end they have a finite value

Grossly overpriced, all of the ones I have, I paid no more than 10GBp, I think the total EKII's awarded were over 6 million, if correct that's a big bag full of gongs, even after all this time, even allowing for inflation, the price, which I am sure will rocket due to the centenary, will reach silly proportions. Collectors, being collectors will seek out the "Rare" manufacturers, but in the end they have a finite value

Hi,

I think about 4.5 million, but thats not here nor there... there are surely 6 000 000 iphones in the world, but if I go into a shop and try and get a better price on that basis I will not get far ;-)

Hi,

I think about 4.5 million, but thats not here nor there... there are surely 6 000 000 iphones in the world, but if I go into a shop and try and get a better price on that basis I will not get far ;-)

Hi Chris point taken, but aren't you comparing new with old (iphones), I'm sure that many older versions are sold at far less than new ones, (Not that there are any genuine new 14-18 EKII's knocking around). Here IMHO there is a difference between rarity and desirability, the EKII or even EKI, from both world wars are not rare but they fall into the category of desirability, particularly if I can just widen the comments to the RK des EK WWII, as such virtually every man and his dog wants one (or if serious several dozens!!). One has to take into account what is genuinely rare and would command a price commensurate with it's rarity and the value of items which are in abundance. I personally suspect as others have mentioned, an anniversary is always a good time to hike up prices for the uninitiated, or those with a lack of experience or research.

As Auseklis has mentioned 25 Euro seems a reasonable price, anyone paying 50, 60-80 euros or even GBP for one is going to get their fingers burnt unfortunately, but I suspect it will happen.

regards

Alex