News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

India Service Medal

Paul

If you received the India Service Medal you were ineligible for the Defence Medal which is something those who make up fake groups tend to forget, there are a few cases, mainly to British attached to the Indian Army where both were received due to administrative errors. War Medal and Indian Service Medal pairs are not uncommon. I have a few named pairs in my collection, the cheapest cost me £15 a couple of years ago (probably an unnamed pair would cost as much). Gary Neate (Neate Medals) sometimes has such items.

Let us know if you get a pair.

All the best,

Paul

Hi Paul this is not exactly what you are looking for I know but I just picked up a 1939-45 Star,War Medal, India Service Medal to a Pte, J.A.F.(I) from a UK seller for a very reasonable price so they are out there and hope you find a nice set to go with your uniform.

Jeff

I will definitely post a picture when it comes in, it's a simple but very attractive looking set. I checked a few sites for some pairs for you with no luck yet but as paddywhack suggested there were plenty of singles of each, the India Service Medals can be found either unnamed or named it seems. May I ask what the cap badge is on the major's uniform? In my opinion I find that most Indian-related medal groups, especially to officers, would be court mounted, which for those two would not be overly difficult or expensive. There are some reputable mounters up here in Canada that would do nice work. Will check a few more sites for a pair, always looks better when they are the same condition and wear :)

Jeff

• 1 month later...

Hi Paul, took awhile to come in but here is the set I had mentioned, the War and India Service are named to 1690 Pte D. Rozario J. A.F.(I), the 1939-45 Star is un-named. A simple but interesting set as the only operational service this man likely qualified for were the few short periods in 1940 and 41 on the N.W. Frontier of India. Did you have any luck finding the pair yourself?

Jeff

Edited by jeffskea

Here is the naming, I understand Indian medals were issued un-named though? Could these be later issues? Too bad they are unresearchable, thanks for the info Paul.

Jeff

Edited by jeffskea

Jeff,

This is a common misconception. The medals were issued following the partition of 1947, those forces which went to Pakistan received their medals unnamed. Those forces that went to India received their medals named and yours are named in pukkah Indian style. Will revert back to the unit details soon.

All the best,

Paul

Rosario was undoubtedly serving in one of the Indian Railway regiments of the A.F.(I.)

Here are the India qualifying dates:

(iii) India and Burma Burma (Enemy Invasion) 22.2.42 15.5.42 Burma (First Arakan Campaign) (See Appendix A). 1.12.42 31.5.43 Burma (Brig.Wingate's Force) 7.2.43 15.7.43 Burma (Special Force, Generals Wingate and Lentaigne). 15.2.44 27.8.44 India (North West Frontier) (See Appendix B) { 3.2.40 24.5.40 { 18.6.41 26.8.41 { 28.7.42

Unfortunately the NZDF site doesn't give the appendices, but from an earlier mention I suspect that "Burma" also included parts of Assam and Bengal. The lack of a Burma Star makes the NWF more likely.

Michael