News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Postman sometimes rings twice....

The down side of 'pals battalions'! After the Somme in particular, there were streets in some English towns where half the homes got a telegram.

I once spoke to a man who as a 14 year old boy delivered telegrams during WWII. Worst job in the world, he said, especially as, at least the way he remembers it, whenever he turned into a street, everyone would come to their windows to see where he'd stop. Wouldn't do that for a pension and a gold medal!

Anybody remember the 'Fighting Sullivans'? It's an old movie - 1944 original - based on the five brothers who joined the US Navy and all died the same day on the USS Juneau, sunk in the Battle of the Solomon Islands. The five enlisted together on January 3, 1942 with the proviso that they be kept together - against Navy policy but apparently winked at - and died on or after November 13, 1942 when their ship was torpedoed by a Japanese sub. At least their family got an official visit from three USN officers with the news!

The USN christened two successive destroyers as the USS The Sullivans. Both hasd the motto "We stick together". The son of one of the five served on the first of the two destroyers.

R.I.P.

I think that a rule was made that brothers cannot serve in the same unit in the British army after WW1. Also the creation of units based on towns and geographical areas was also abolished after WW1. So the philosophy that units made up of your friends and family were stronger units, became unpopular due to family's, parishes, towns and suburbs of cities, if not whole islands taking massive casualties on one day. My grand father was in the Royal Guernsey light Infantry, a tiny british island, that saw brothers, fathers and sons and cousins, all killed in the same action. In World War Two, his three sons were split in units as far apart as you could get...Iceland, Gold Coast, and Britain. When I joined the South African Defence force the same year as my brother, we were told that it would not be possible for us to be based in the same unit. The SADF took a lot of its workings from the British army. So even in the 1980s this policy was still applied.

The Royal Newfoundland Regiment went over the top at Beaumont Hamel, July 1, 1917, 778 men strong at 9:15. By 9;45 the attack was over. 68 men answered the roll that evening, 710 were killed wounded or missing. The entire population of the island at the time was 240,000 and it is said that there was not a single adult on the island who was not a relative or neighbour of one of those men.

In Newfoundland, unlike the rest of Canada, July 1st - Canada Day - is not considered a day of celebration.

As an interesting sidelight to the Sullivans story, my wife (an English teacher) set a writing exercise for the class. One girl wrote the Sullivans story. I can only guess that a family member must have served in the U.S.N. (probably as a Filipino mess-boy) and passed the story down in the family. Otherwise it's a strange thing for a teenaged Filipina-Canadian girl to choosed to write about.

Michael