News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello,

i think it?s time for another example from Lippe-Detmold, not as rare as the other things I allready showed, but still very nice:

Military merit medal Lippe-Detmold (with swords on medal)

The material of this medal is bronze.

The ribbon gold-red-gold is an original one.

This medal with swords on the medal was awarded since 1915 and about 1,945 times.

The first model of this medal without swords is very rare and was awarded 1832-1915 (less than 150 times!).

Even rarer are the medals which had their swords on the ribbon and which were given to colonial-combatants.

Mr. Nimmergut says that there were only 4 awards, but i know somebody who is not in this list.

Greetings

Solomon

And I also have a "Feldspange" with this war merit medal :P

On this bar you can also find

-iron cross 2nd class 1914

-war merit cross Lippe-Detmold

-war merit medal Lippe-Detmold

-medal for long service ("Dienstauszeichnung")

-Kyffh?user-medal

Greetings

Solomon

Do you want to sell your ribbon bar? I have a good big friend for it...

:D Really nice bar...i?m still searching for one like this...

Your bar would get a very nice place in my collection, next to the other medals and orders from Lippe-Detmold :rolleyes:

Greetings

Solomon

Very hard to find piece, especially represented on a feldspange, or ordensspange. I wonder sometimes how often this ribbon is mistaken for a Brunswick HO when there are no swords on the ribbon!?

...not to mention the several Imperial Russian decorations that can sometimes creep into German groups.

Gentlemen,

I would like to present a medal bar which purports to be related to this topic for your evaluation. As I understand it, the swords on the ribbon are meant to signify the award of this medal - an interesting and, as far as I know, unique concept; but true?

Assuming that point to be correct, why is it mounted between the two merit medals? All comments are most welcome - have at it.

Thank you,

Wild Card

Guest Rick Research

:speechless1::speechless1: Even MORE bizarre than the ribbon and Xs device with NO medal is BOTH sides' medals for the bitter court fight over the succession-- the ONLY example I've seen of the 1897 and 1905 opponents' Nyahnyah medals being worn together!!!! :speechless1::speechless1:

Here's one that has long defeated me, with ribbons that could be several things, indeed:

[attachmentid=29696]

Assuming that point to be correct, why is it mounted between the two merit medals? All comments are most welcome - have at it.

Thank you,

Wild Card

First my congratulation...extremly nice and rare medal bar :love:

I can help you:

Today a new published book which only deals with all (!!!) medals and orders from Lippe-Detmold arrived.

This book shows all awards (the rarest inclusive), tells the history, and gives information about the number of awards, their sizes and weights, the colour of their ribbons, the manufactures etc,etc.

At the end of this book all statutes are written down. There your can read the following:

Statutes military merit medal given October, 25 in 1908

[...]

? 3. The military merit medal has to be mounted before the silver merit medal

[...]

(? 3. Die Milit?r-Verdienstmedaille wird vor der silbernen Verdienstmedaille getragen)

The medal is mounted in the right way :rolleyes:

Greetings

Solomon

No problem,

I accidental saw it in the archive in Detmold, I visited last week. It was published just one day before:

Title:

Orden und Ehrenzeichen des F?rstenthums Lippe-Detmold 1778-1933

Autor:

Reiner Schwark

-200 sites (catalogue) with many colored photos of the awards, documents

-very detailed information about history, weight, size, ribbons, number of awards etc.,etc.

language:

only german :unsure:

Cost:

69,90 ? (+ shipping)

ISBN-No. 3-9808505-5-2

You have to order this book directly at the "Lippisches Landesmuseum Detmold"

(www.lippisches-landesmuseum.de).

It was a bit difficult to order...but after an email (shop@....) I got it.

Greetings

Solomon

Here you can see an example (I just introduced this book on a other military-board):

Edited by Solomon

Hi Solomon,

I can not tell you how much it means to me to get an approval from you on my medal bar. As I tried to convey in my notes on it, the concept was so different coupled with the fact that I had not been able to confirm any of it with what books I have, had always given me some doubts.

Now, thanks to you, my mind is at ease. I look forward to the opportunity to repay this kindness.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

:speechless1::speechless1: Even MORE bizarre than the ribbon and Xs device with NO medal is BOTH sides' medals for the bitter court fight over the succession-- the ONLY example I've seen of the 1897 and 1905 opponents' Nyahnyah medals being worn together!!!! :speechless1::speechless1:

Here's one that has long defeated me, with ribbons that could be several things, indeed:

[attachmentid=29696]

Hi Rick,

Since any way you look at it this bar is bouncing around Brunswick, I just can not resist adding my two cents. Keep in mind that I am just beginning the ribbon bar learning curve.

Because the Brunswick MVK is ahead of all others, except the EK, I am initially guessing that the recipient was a Brunswicker. That should make the next to last item something related to Henry the Lion - a merit cross, without swords of course, or one of the honor decorations. The last one is the clincher. As far as I can see, it would be either a Brunswick lifesaving medal or a Swedish Vasa Order of some grade. Considering the previous points, I would go with the lifesaving medal.

I know that this does not give you a name; but maybe there is something helpful.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

P.S. Thank you for the fascinating information regarding the Lippe medals related to the succession.