News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British pair from SOS.

I realize that these are not the most sought after pieces but when I saw this I knew I was going to buy it. Two days it sat there waiting for me. I see this like a work of art. Bar is marked Spink & Son Ltd. The extra 5 year service bars are a nice touch. This is one piece I own because I just like to look at it.

Thanks,

Chet

You bet! I don't think they could get any more on it if they tried.

6083. A/SIS.M.L.STEPHEN CRAIGS COURT H. NSG DIV. No 1DST.S.J.A.B.1927

Jeff read this like a book. It was great to meet him and get his opinion.

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Huh! I'm surprised to see a Sister's medals mounted "man-style," though logically it wouldn't be possible to wear the long service any other way.

"Stephen" is a peculiar enough last name that I think if you can turn up a Burke's Landed Gentry from the 1930s, you'd stand a good chance of finding her in there. All I've got are the 1935 Who's Who? and 1970 Burke's Peerage-- just enough to suggest she must have had some prominent cousins.

6083. A/SIS.M.L.STEPHEN CRAIGS COURT H. NSG DIV. No 1DST.S.J.A.B.1927

I would surmise that this translated as 6083 Acting Sister M L Stephen, Craig's Court Hospital Nursing Division, No.1 (Metropolitan) District. A very nice (and underrated pair).

• 9 months later...

I realize that these are not the most sought after pieces but when I saw this I knew I was going to buy it. Two days it sat there waiting for me. I see this like a work of art. Bar is marked Spink & Son Ltd. The extra 5 year service bars are a nice touch. This is one piece I own because I just like to look at it.

Thanks,

Chet

I couldn't agree more - lovely to look at. I got this 3 bar group "as is". I have no idea if the Defence Medal should be included, or in what order. The Red Cross medal is not part of the group - it was in the cabinet so I included it in the shot. BTW - the name on the Red Cross medal is "A. Hart" (fitting)

Cheers!

• 1 year later...

I couldn't agree more - lovely to look at. I got this 3 bar group "as is". I have no idea if the Defence Medal should be included, or in what order. The Red Cross medal is not part of the group - it was in the cabinet so I included it in the shot. BTW - the name on the Red Cross medal is "A. Hart" (fitting)

Cheers!

1. These are mounted in the correct order according to the official Order of Wearing.

2. Females in uniform (ie. St John's Ambulance Brigade, Police or Defence Forces) wear medals and honours mounted in the "male" style. According to a documentary I saw yesterday about the Queen at an Investiture Ceremony, it is because uniformed personnel have regular hats not the huge bonnets civilian women wear in formal dress (which require brooch mounting of neck medals because you can't get them over the hats !!).

Which means that women being awarded the Companion or Officer of the Order of Australia are requested not to wear hats to the investiture. eg. attached pic of Nicole Kidman.

Cheers,

Greg.

Note however that female members of the armed forces and police actually receive their awards - if getting, say, an MBE - mounted female style, even if they are then expected to wear them male-style when in uniform.

Note however that female members of the armed forces and police actually receive their awards - if getting, say, an MBE - mounted female style, even if they are then expected to wear them male-style when in uniform.

Not according to what I heard and saw in this documentary. Maybe it varies.

Greg.

This is based on observations at UK Investitures - your picture comes from an Australian one. Canadians appear to give the recipient the choice - I have seen a 'group photo' of Order of Canada recipients at their investiture where some ladies wear neck badges and some wear bows!