News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Painted helmets etc again

Spasm

Gents

Some new helmets still to make it onto t'tinternet.

The admin staff is falling behind, pffft.

Winter Wiking Div with EKII and the Medaille Winterschlacht im Osten (the lettering is from the reverse of the medal and the award document) complete with Stug, SS eagle, cuff title and Wiking rubber stamp.

Edited by Spasm

DAK helmet with the Fox geezer and signature, panzerkampfabzeichen, knights cross with oak leaves, swords and candy floss, blue max, DAK campaign medal, cuff title and a prowling tiger

And that Russian one with the Cyrillic carvings in plaster from the Hero Brest Fortress, worn out fighters/nurse and the Gold Star awarded to Hero cities.

I am not exited, nor putting forward to buy such a special item; not only for lack of space, but also because I like the genuine basics as they come, without modern paint etc.

But I am sure that there will be a market for such 'souvenir like' types of artefacts.

However, if a genuine piece is used for this artists galore, i still feel a bit of sorry, no matter how many of these original whitnesses of time are around still.... because they're days are numbered.

We are few, and hopefully many are to come, and share our love for military history, and I welcome their share to genuine artifacts, un-tampered and ready to enjoy again, as we did.

Odulf

I sort of entirely agree with you. They do take up a lot of room.

All of the helmets I paint (for myself) are relics and have either sat in someones shed or in the ground for many years. They are all restored from a rusty lump, sometimes more hole than helmet covered in mud, varnish or someone else's post war paint. I admit to having painted over Mk2 wardens, zuckermans and post WW2 stuff. I've also painted small parts from crashed aircraft (as can be seen in other posts). Hopefully these 'restored' items will then take their place in a collection to live on for a few more years rather than being thrown away into the metal skip at the local recycling centre. But then again, some people do collect relics.

I have done other people's helmets that are in a much better condition. I advise the owners of the helmet's intrinsic historical value (like Mervyn's SA helmet done for the photo competition) but, at the end of the day, they own the helmets and would like them painted for one reason or another - to honour a regiment, memory or family member. I've thought long and hard about turning away this type of work and although I wouldn't want to custom paint an original Bugatti or Racing Green Bentley Speed Six I'd rather try my best to honour the original owner than turn away the work and let some tattoo artist get his grinder on it. I'd have no problem in painting a modern racing helmet worth a lot more than a US airborne helmet.

So, in a way I agree, it's like splitting up a medal bar just for the money. But in another way....it's not.

I'd be very happy to hear others' opinions on this as it's honestly troubled me for a while. I'm assuming as my artwork gets better (as I think it is) then I'm going to be asked to do more of this type of work.

Opinions from respected gents on here would be greatly appreciated.

I see it as you giving a tired old lid a new lease of life. I assume you only do this to repainted or otherwise already degraded items. They have already lost there way you are just helping them to be appreciated again. If it has already been stripped back or badly repainted it doesen't matter as your paint can always be stripped off too but the point is it will never be the original finish ever again so why not?

As I am sure others believe, you are very talented and have a flare for what you do!

Jock :)

Thanks Gents :)

And just to make things a bit clearer, the helmet below is a good relic helmet for me as I've already taken off the mud and majority of rust. Some are a bit better and some are much worse once they've been parted from the mud and rust.

It takes me longer to rebuild, restore to the original shape and preserve than it does for me to complete the finished paintwork. Restoration and base helmet colour takes about 5 days with a LOT of elbow grease, masses of sandpaper and paint splashing while the actual finished top artwork takes about 4 days.

Does anyone know of a good powertool that would sand the inside of a helmet? It's a proper pain doing that bit by hand.

Everything you see has been painted, the old look of the base helmet colour, the well used and worn camo or winter paint is created to look like it is original, even the decals are all hand painted to look worn and scraped. Once the helmet is finished and lacquered I paint a gloss finish over the decals so they actually look like decals.

Each helmet now takes about 2 weeks to complete fully - I should be getting faster the more I do but actually the opposite is the case as I'm getting more fussy about both the finish and the artwork.

Edited by Spasm

I do agree with Odulf's point of view - however, there are thousands of old helmets on shelves - even today. The

artistic work that you do is above reproach - and will be prized and kept by any collector.

My advice - take whatever commissions you can get - for any subject, even race cars. Like Colin on our Model section,

you have a gift - and like any artist should take advantage of it. Pensions are no replacement for the opportunities you

have to make real money.

Now - I have given you a good write-up ! Do you think some special paint would stick to a Police Helmet ? I would like

to have one for a prize in the next Photo Comp.. I can supply the Helmet - a Met. pattern without the coxcomb - and if

it is an earlier model. most of the felt finish will have gone. Please let me have your ideas. Best wishes Mervyn

Mervyn

If I can paint race cars then I can paint a police helmet. I have no idea what a cox comb is but I'm sure it makes them look even smarter (I personally keep mine too short to comb but I hear plaiting is a good look).

I'm sure there's no shortage of ideas for something to paint on a police helmet :whistle:

Of course we can sort something but remember it wasn't my idea to paint it (as above).

Steve

I am in disagreement regarding the idea that every helmet is a sacred artifact and not to be altered in any way. This is not a case where the helmet or other artifact has become just another piece in an abstract sculpture or been cleverly transformed into a clock or a bird house for a cowbird. These are fitting memorials to those who served and often gave their lives for their country. The only example of Steves work that I own, which I won here on the GMIC, holds a special place in the study within my British musket collection closet. I have received more positive comments on this piece than on anything else in the collections.

This is art of the calibre that could and should be in any collection of war art whether it is in a private collection, such as mine, or in a museum where the public can not only marvel at the skill of the artist but also reflect on the deeds of those the piece commemorates.

To refresh the members memories of the helmet Steve so graciously donated for the competition here are the details of the soldier commemorated in the winning of the Victoria Cross in Libya, 5 June, 1942.

4458 Sergeant Quentin George Murray Smythe, 1st Battalion, Royal Natal Carabineers, 1st SA Infantry Division, South African Forces.

Steves dedicated work and extraordinary talent honours the men and women of all branches of the military and conflicts regardless of their nationality.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and there is always merit in any opinion, this is mine.

Regards

Brian

I have no words.....I used them up just now. Thanks all.

I'm off to have a lie down for a bit. :)

When you get up after your lie down you might want to try sanding the inside of the helmets with a die grinder (the long nose/handle type) using a sanding bit or wire brush bit. If you don't have one maybe you could borrow one before splashing out any hard earned cash.

Tony

Steve,

What do your lids normaly fetch or do you price them according to man hours?

I think in 2000 years people will be collecting your art and there will be tons of good SS helmets that don't look as interesting and won't be collected.

I will keep my eyes peeled for suitable 'casualties' if you want.

Jock :)

Jock

Prices vary slightly depending on the time taken for the artwork. Normally, its £200 for the artwork plus the cost of the basic helmet plus the cost of the postage. The helmets above will be on the website - once the Admin staff gets around to it - for around the £290 mark.

Commissions mostly supply their own helmet as they've had one sitting on a shelf for a while that they want painted to commemorate a relative or unit. If a fairly good condition helmet complete with liner and chinstrap is to be used as the donor I do point out that it does have some historical value but at the end of the day, it's their helmet.

Prices for relic helmets have been going up of late along with the postage costs, where I could get one at around the £30 plus £5 for postage that's risen to around £50 and £12 (uk) and £25 (abroad) postage putting relics at a cost of £60-70 to me.

I also sometimes paint replica helmets such as Fallschirmjager or Airborne helmets as these are just miles too expensive even as relics. But even these are pretty expensive for good ones rather than the horrible Chinese copies. They can cost from £50 - £90 plus postage for something decent. Bulk buying doesn't save much money and I don't really have the room for hundreds of helmets hanging around (particularly relics as I want to treat them to stop any further degrading).

Any finds that you, or anyone else can help with I'd be more than happy to discuss.

I'm looking forward to fame and glory in 2000 years. So, in 4014 Rodney, in 4014 we'll be........and all that.

Steve :)

Edited by Spasm

This is art of the calibre that could and should be in any collection of war art whether it is in a private collection, such as mine, or in a museum where the public can not only marvel at the skill of the artist but also reflect on the deeds of those the piece commemorates.

Steves dedicated work and extraordinary talent honours the men and women of all branches of the military and conflicts regardless of their nationality.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and there is always merit in any opinion, this is mine.

Regards

Brian

Here here! I am in full agrement with Brian! Incredible talent put to great use!

I must admit that I find this fantastic.

I have a couple of rusted relic helmets in the cellar, meaningless to anyone but me.... There were millions of the things... I think to take a good conditioned helmet and do this would be a crime, but to do it to a relic assures that rust buckets place in history.

Fantastic!!

Thanks guys much appreciated

Tony - hadn't thought of one of those, thanks, next time I'm buying up the hardware shop's supply of sandpaper I'll have a look ay what they have.

Boris - I'm very poor as well but you can have this weeny one for that :P

Thanks again guys, working on a few more as we speak. The admin staff is getting fed up with finding rusty helmets all over the place.

Replica wooden regimental drum coming soon as that's being moaned about as well, if I can figure out how to de and re-rope it. That big long knot around the bottom looks well complicated.