Interesting Arab-Israeli War Item

Lion101

Thanks for posting!

The 60mm is not a very common mortar caliber -- the biggest user was the US, particularly the WWII-era M2 and M19 mortars. Not sure if the UK used this. I'm sure a few made their way to the Middle East, including (possibly) Jordan, Saudi Arabia, etc. Yugoslavia also made a 60mm mortar (M57), not sure if any made their way to the Middle East.

Chris

Lion,

The Arabic reads,

60mm Mortar

Sh - F - T

63/1 - 81/9

Regards,

Owain

Thank you Owain for the translation. :)

Thanks for posting!

The 60mm is not a very common mortar caliber -- the biggest user was the US, particularly the WWII-era M2 and M19 mortars. Not sure if the UK used this. I'm sure a few made their way to the Middle East, including (possibly) Jordan, Saudi Arabia, etc. Yugoslavia also made a 60mm mortar (M57), not sure if any made their way to the Middle East.

Chris

Thank you for that, Here I was thinking that it was a western made.

Could very well be a Yugo. Shell, we supplied a lot of weapons/tanks etc. to some of the Arab states.

the Tip of the shell looks like it is missing.

Well, I know that Yugoslavia was close to both Syria and Egypt.

I am guessing 1960s? or 1970s?

Thanks for posting!

Chris

I think you maybe on to something

oes not seem to correspond with either Yugo or US 60mm rounds......

I found this and it seen to be a match.

http://www.jcmilitaria.com/display_image.asp?ID=7386

It could also be a modified shell from any of those producers, honestly I don't know enough about weapons to say if it is or isn't but Yugoslavia did supply a lot of weapons and could very much be a possibility, they had 60mm Yugo. shells, but all of these that I have seen are listed in Cyrillic letters or equivalent and I believe if they are headed for export they are marked as such.

• 1 year later...