News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi gents,

it took me some time, but today I was able to add this little fellow to my collection:

The medalbar belongs to Johann Friedrich Lappe, born in Mettmann on 31st May 1845, died in Halle on 19th December 1928 .

Friedrich Lappe was pastor and superindentant in Bielefeld and also pastor of the ruling family in Lippe-Detmold.
    In Bielefeld he planned the Johannis-church, in Detmold he held the funeral oration of princess Pauline.

On the medalbar you see:

- red eagle order 4th class (unmarked)
    - war aid cross Prussia
    - Lippe-Detmold house order 3rd class in gold ( Lappe got the award on 30th May 1909 as No. 380 of the list. (In total it was awarded 372 times.)
    - Lippe-Detmold Grafregenten Ernst medal 1897 (not in the award list, but listed in the Ordensalmanach 1908)
    - Lippe-Detmold Lawsuit-medal 1905 ( No. 97 of the list, 176 awards in total)

Lappe also got the 4th class of the Lippe-Detmold houseorder Div. A on 13rd January 1898, but he had to return it after awarding the 3rd class.

The photo shows  Friedrich Lappe in 1900 (according to the notes on the back).

Lippe-Ordensspange-RAO4-KHD-LH3-1897-1905_Friedrich_Lappe-web.jpg

Lippe-Friedrich-Lappe-Portrait-VS web.jpg

There is a small, but interesting detail on this 3.class piece:

For sure this award was made by Carl, Büsch, Hannover, who produced almost all early golden pieces.
    Normally the medaillons are fixed with one diagonal rounded pin (I can compare with a early 4th class and 2nd class in my collection).
    But this pieces has four squared "pins" between the arms of the cross (see photo).
    I assume that this piece was returned and again awarded (maybe Büsch changed also the medaillon on the back from "LA" to "L") and
    that this piece was a former award with swords!

It is just a theory, but I haven´t ever seen this mounting before...

Regards
    Roman

Lippe-LH3-Detail-Verstiftung.jpg

That is a nice find, and really, really lucky to have the photo with it!!

​Indeed, but I picked it up direct from the family. Unfortunately this photo is just borrowed and I have to return it next week.

But there is still a quite realistic chance, that the award documents will appear and I´m allowed to buy it, too :-)