News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Japanese Nambu Type 14

buellmeister

Gentlemen,

Just purchased this Nambu T-14 from a fellow co-worker who's step-father brought it back from the South Pacific in 1944. It was manufactured by Nagoya in 1928 and received the refurbishments that many had by the Tokyo arsenal in 1932. I'm so glad I had the opportunity to purchase it. :cheeky:

Regards,

Joel

• 2 months later...

Hi Joel,

Beautiful Nambu! :love::love::jumping::jumping: And the holster is gorgeous as well! :love: Mine has the winter trigger guard but your's looks even more like a luger with the standard guard. In fact, the guards themselves are fascinating as when these are broken down for cleaning the entire trigger and guard come out as one unit if I remember correctly. Never seen that in another handgun.

[attachmentid=41528]

Have you ever fired yours? I know ammo is a bit tough to come by, not to mention expensive. Also the firing pins can be fragile. But some friends of mine found and gave me a box of ammo years ago which was short just a couple of rounds. I've fired two or three from it and that's it. Just wanted the experience and must say it's a fine shooting gun.

Japanese guns got such a bad rap after the war but most are actually quite well made. In fact, the rifles were based on the Mauser action and are so well built in most cases (not the last ditch types of course!) that you can actually overload them quite a bit and they won't blow up. Not that I would recommend doing so but it was tested by the staff of Guns and Ammo magazine many years ago and it held up amazingly well.

Again beautiful piece... thanks for sharing! :cheers:

Dan

Dan, thank you very much for your kind words. I'm very lucky to have purchased this gun rig especially in such good condition. I've got it displayed next to my Arisaka T-38 Carbine and Rayed Flag.

I haven't yet fired mine but I plan to at least touch off a box of rounds. A place I've happened upon called Western Scrounger has ammo for it. Your correct in saying that it is expensive. Fifty Dollars for a box of twenty! Ouch. I fortunately, have a spare firing pin that came with it so I have a back up. I love the way the gun breaks down and you are correct in stating that the trigger does slide right off the receiver and it really is simplistic in it's design.

I thank you again for your kind words and you have a nice Nambu as well!

Warm Regards,

Joel

Edited by buellmeister

Thought I'd add another picture of my Japanese "trio"

Regards,

Joel

Hi Joel,

Great display! I also love :love: the rifle... have a couple myself, one of each caliber but one has been sporterized (not by me! :shame: ) and also the flag. I have that one meatball flag but not the one with rays. Would eventually love one of those too.

Do you have the bayo? That's a terrific accessory if you can get one at a good price... but be careful as most I've seen have been razor sharp! :speechless1: They did tend to like sharp blades. :rolleyes::lol:

Do you have any other Japanese pieces... insignia, equipment? I don't have a ton other than what you see in the pic... a couple of medals, one cased and a few pieces of collar insignia. I had a fantastic, untouched and very complete helmet literally walk in to my room one day many moons ago in the hands of a friend and he just gave it to me. His dad had sent it back from the Pacific and never did anything with it. It ended up in his mom's attic and when they were putting her into an assisted living facility and cleaning out the house they found it. He gave it to my friend who asked if he could give it to me. The dad had no interest in it so to me it went. Then like a fool :speechless::banger: ) I trade it off for some TR stuff as that was my primary interest at the time. Now they go for a small fortune like that.

I have a helmet which I got for dirt... say $5-$10 range if I remember... been so long ago. But it looks newer and I seem to remember seeing that at least at some point (not sure what they wear now) the Chinese Peoples Army used the identical helmet but with a newer type liner. I may be wrong... I guess I'll have to do pics and post it at some point and get opinions. Haven't quite gotten up to the helmets yet.

Great pieces one and all. Keep that collection growing and please... show more when they get added to the family.

Thanks! :cheers:

Dan

Dan, thanks again bud. Yes, I have quite a nice Nagoya subcontracted Chinese Made Type-30 attached to the end of the Carbine. The only other piece I had was a Wakaishi (sp) sword that came with the gun. I ended up trading it for a nice M-35 Luftwaffe Helmet. :beer:

Regards,

Joel

Dan, thanks again bud. Yes, I have quite a nice Nagoya subcontracted Chinese Made Type-30 attached to the end of the Carbine. The only other piece I had was a Wakaishi (sp) sword that came with the gun. I ended up trading it for a nice M-35 Luftwaffe Helmet. :beer:

Regards,

Joel

I like Wakizashi's but really LOVE :love: Katana's. No idea why but especially the NCO Shin Gunto's with the olive colored metal scabbards and the metal grips. They used to be the cheapest back in the day ($40-$50 each believe it or not!) and least desireable in most circles until the Japanese economy soared and they started to buy back much of what they'd lost in the war. Price was no object and darned if they didn't drive everything through the roof... and it's never gone back down.

I missed a near mint example... I was absolutely in love with this sword. A local dealer I knew down in Florida had it and as I'd done him some good deals on some things I had that he wanted I'd asked him to hold it for me for a couple of weeks. It was only $200. He was one of those collected to deal types and in it for $$$$$$$$'s at all costs but seemed nice enough and we'd had some good deals. Well, he'd agreed and in two weeks as promised I had the money. He'd sold it two days earlier. :mad::angry::banger: Needless to say the free ride ended there as, pretty much, did our dealings. Really ticked me off royally. And to this day I've never been able to get one, and that really hurts.

Even worse... years later I answered a small ad in the local paper for a Broomhandle Mauser for $250.00. Went and checked it out and bought it along with a Mauser rifle for $100 which is the one I posted that turned out to be a DDR marked piece, as well as a replacement stock for $50 (kept the original) for my M1 Garand with the cracked wrist. Well, long story short, we get to talking. I mentioned that dealer in Tallahassee and the story of the sword comes up. He says to hang on a second... goes in the other room and out he comes with MY SWORD!!!! :angry: He was the guy who bought it!!!! I begged. I pleaded. I did everything short of getting on my hands and knees in tears to buy that sword from him... but he would not sell. And all he did was keep it in a gun safe in his bedroom where it seldom saw the light of day.

So again, never got one... don't know if I ever will because when I see some of the garbage they sell (good pieces though) for $350-$1,000 and up... and compare it with my memory of that jewel I could have had for $200 if that dealer had only kept his word as I did mine... ARRRRRRRRRGH!!!! Everything else pales by comparison.

I still pray that perhaps God will bless me with a vet deal for cheap... but then again I would never want to take advantage of anyone and I'd have to be honest as I always have and tell them what it's potentially worth. But then if they still only want a bit for it it would be okay. That's one of my major problems I guess... I'm too honest and shoot my foot off quite often. But I'd rather be honest and lose a deal than be a pirate who knows full well what some vet's widow has is worth and giving her a pittance instead only to rush off and make ten times that on each piece. Hate it when I hear about such things. And I've lost more good deals being honest... but I've gotten quite a few jewels as a consequence of how I am too... so it all works out over time. And I can sleep at night which is priceless. :D

Hey, please post a pic of the bayo when you've got time as I'd love to see that too. Just great stuff. Yet another branch of the hobby that I love but sadly the money only spreads so far these days. But I do hope and pray I'll get that Shin Gunto one of these days.

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

Dan, I too have had impressive and too good to be true (to me) deals be laid before me then for some reason or another I backed down and have regretted it to this day. However, I love the thrill of the hunt in looking for militaria in the darndest of places and if that good deal has presented itself... I buy it. LOL! The situation you had encountered was an unfortunate one and another will come by. I believe in militaria kharma. One good deed is deserving of receiving another. :P

I'll post pictures of my bayonet when I get home.

Regards,

Joel

Dan, I too have had impressive and too good to be true (to me) deals be laid before me then for some reason or another I backed down and have regretted it to this day. However, I love the thrill of the hunt in looking for militaria in the darndest of places and if that good deal has presented itself... I buy it. LOL! The situation you had encountered was an unfortunate one and another will come by. I believe in militaria kharma. One good deed is deserving of receiving another. :P

I'll post pictures of my bayonet when I get home.

Regards,

Joel

Hi Joel,

Many thanks for your encouraging words. I also believe that... although with a few things the belief is starting to wear a bit thin... it's there but barely as it's been sooooo long.

Sometimes it's been my own stupidity. Not buying West German 1957 awards because so many collectors I respected were saying they were garbage and would never be worth anything. I loved them then and could have bought tons. I bought only a few and ended up still loving them and now not being able to afford them for the most part. :speechless: But in the end it was my own fault for not listening to my heart.

Then, at a gun show in Tallahassee once I passed up being able to buy literally up to three tables filled with those self same NCO swords... albeit the majority not near the condition of "the one" for $35 to $40 each! Probably could have done a great bulk deal too. But no one knew they'd go up like they did in a very short time.

At that same show I had an opportunity to trade a stein I had... a rather plain one for the most part, for a Marine Mameluke sword in mint condition complete with it's original storage bag which he'd valued at $100. I passed on it. Even then I gritted my teeth as I did it. This pattern has always been a love of mine. Why oh why did I do it... I'll never know. :speechless: But again my own dumb fault and to this day I have no examples of this beautiful sword.

Sigh.

But for every dumb thing I've done I've probably done several smart things so it all works out in the long run.

I too love the thrill of the hunt... in all of my many hobbies. And there's nothing like coming home victorious with the grant prize slug over ones shoulder! Nothing beats that feeling.

I'll be eagerly looking forward to seeing the bayonet... and of course if you happen upon a steal of a deal on one of those NCO's and/or a USMC Mameluke sword for a song on the way home... just remember... all donations are gleefully accepted! :rolleyes::lol::beer:

Thanks! :cheers:

Dan

• 2 months later...

Guys,

I've read your posts with great interest.

I've got a type 38 with a ground 'mum. I did luck into a nice early war bayo and sheath for it, though.

Seems to me we've got something in common, namely that we've all passed up good deals only to regret it later.

That might be an interesting thread, we could call it the "Still kicking myself in the butt" forum.

Mine was a WWII Dodge ambulance. Rough shape, cracked windshield, needed timing. The guy had 6 extra tires and full replacement glass in the back. The $200 he wanted for it sounded like too much back then.

I'm an idiot. :speechless:

Paul,

I bought this piece and a small Wakizashi sword from a former co-worker and brought back from his step father who was station in the Philippines in 1944. I have since traded the sword for an M35 Luftwaffe Helmet and decided to keep the Nambu. The gun and sword have were just in an old trunk for about 60 plus years. Got to love pleasant surprises. :jumping:

Regards,

Joel

Beautiful pieces gentlemen. Sorry Dan, but I have always thought the early nambus with the small trigger guard looked just a little classier. Especially the papa nambus. I remember finding one of the Nambu? revolver rigs a few years ago. It had everything, correct holster with shoulderstrap, cleaning rod and even the capture papers. No ammo though. Funny how you never see any in the holsters, I guess the GIs shot it all up. I bought it because my best friend collected Japanese (among other things) and sold it to him for what I had into it. He got all my Jap stuff years ago including a large ammunition? chest with a canvas covered lid that an officer had converted into a foot locker. Thanks for the memories.

Dan Murphy