News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Anatomy of a prussian crownorder 3rd class by H&S

I was wondering if I could ask a question about the construction of a crown order 4th class. I have a very nice cased order that is set up on an Austrian ribbon. Neither the case nor the award are marked. The unusal thing about the award is that there is a very small hole drilled through the award between to the right of the top arm and exits to the left of the bottom arm. The hole has been carefully pinned and is almost unnoticable. Any ideas as to why it would have been constructed this way?

[attachmentid=30787]

[attachmentid=30789]

This is to hold the center in place. allmost all order decorations have that. Using just the normal resin could have been fine, but still carried the risk of heating up in and making the resin soft. This could cause the center medaillion to turn of fall out. the wire prevented that from happening.

Andreas

Thank you for the information. I had assumed that the center of these was hollow to lighten the medal. Besides the resin glue, how would the medallions have been attached to the pin/wire? Or was there a seperate center that the pin held and the medallions were glued to that?

Red

It does not look like your 3rd class has this attachment. Was the center hollow on yours or was there some sort of insert the medallions were attached to?

As I mentioned, the wire can be found on almost all order decorations. Older pieces like the one Red pictures does not neccessary have that. the jewelers learn those days......

The wire goes through the cross as well as through both parts of the medaillion:

[attachmentid=30855]

[attachmentid=30856]

On 11 o?clock on the picture with the inner view of the crownmedaillon, you can see the hole of the attachment. My crownorder have it, too.

First I understand you mean a hole into a crossarm.

The pin of this attachment is lost.

Red

Hi Andreas,

Obvious, but still worth mention - this pin system also aided in the proper alignment of the center medallions. Also, are you aware of this ?pin system? having been used on stars; or was that negated by the screw off back plates?

Wild Card

Hi Andreas,

Obvious, but still worth mention - this pin system also aided in the proper alignment of the center medallions. Also, are you aware of this ?pin system? having been used on stars; or was that negated by the screw off back plates?

Wild Card

Absolutely. We are looking at quite a chnage of craftmanship over one century.

The early Prussian stars made predominantly by Hossauer use the same pin system. Later pieces (already Humbert & Sohn, Hanff & Zimmermann) are taking advantage of the very smart screw back system. Yes, sometimes the medaillion still moves, but on an economical level it was still the best way to make those stars.

• 2 months later...