News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Police Long Service Medal & Bar........

Have received confirmation from the Police Federation, that there will be bars to the police LSGC, that match that of the ones previously announced to the Fire Service LSGC. 

There will be formal  announcement, in the next few weeks, and will be back dated to the 11th March 2022.

• 3 weeks later...
    On 16/03/2019 at 09:19, bigjarofwasps said:

976.jpg

Any speculation as to whether these bars will be sew on like the Special Constabulary ones, or slide on like the military?

What about whether they'll have any crown on the (think of the potential for the new Kings crown here), or whether they'll just bear 30 years and 40 years respectively? 

17 hours ago, Dave Wilkinson said:

It's been suggested that the current QC will not be altered. We'll have to wait and see.

Dave.

Would appear, that King Charles has now opted for cypher with bearing a Kings crown?

Assume this means that there will now be a change in cap badges etc.

Although when this is likely to take place, I don’t know. An article I was reading suggested that we won’t see new bank notes until 2024 and coins would be minted as demand presented itself.

Of course the million pound question is, when we will see a change in effigy on medals! 

D2C8956A-FE81-4BE4-981C-EB0574B4301A.jpeg

Edited by bigjarofwasps

• 2 weeks later...

Not physically seen one yet, but did see this update, with regards to the two bars, on the Kent Constabulary website

https://www.kent.police.uk/foi-ai/kent- ... ol-l11020/

3.3 Long Service and Good Conduct

3.3.1 This section of the protocol details the eligibility criteria for long service awards for officers and staff.

3.3.1.1 Police Officers

3.3.1.1.1 The police long service and good conduct medal is awarded to police officers, of all ranks, when they have completed 20 years’ “pensionable” or “approved” service.

3.3.1.1.1.1 There is additional recognition for 30 years and 40 years service.

• 4 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

A source has provided me with this…

”This was shared with me whilst part of Civil Contingent on the Queens funeral parade by a senior fire fighter”.

I strongly suspect, that all the emergency services bars will be the same.

Shame there seen on and not slide on, but at least this additional service is now being recognised, formally!!

005EB45B-9790-4345-9101-B41C86A5CA28.jpeg

Something that’s just occurred to me. 

I have a friend who did 20 years in the Fire Service (got his LSGC), then left and did 17 years in the Police before retiring. Would the 10 years Police service count towards a bar on the Fire Service LSGC or are they separate medals in that regard?

I don't think that the Royal Warrant would allow the amalgamation of long service criteria between the emergency services. That would create a considerable bit of confusion. For example, if someone did ten years in the fire service and then immediately ten years in the police, the individual, on the basis of your supposition would expect to receive a Police LS&GC medal at the end of his ten years of police service, with his fire service to count. No, I don't think so!

As an aside, it won't be long before those bars are available on eBay for purchase by anyone and it follows that they will be added to medals by dealers to make them more desirable. The researching of PLS&GC medals is difficult unless the name is unusual so invariably the award of the "bar/bars" will be equally difficult to verify.

Dave.   

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

• 2 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...
    On 07/01/2023 at 09:04, bigjarofwasps said:

Thought this might be of interest?

https://www.polfed.org/news/latest-news ... uct-medal/

Of particular interest is this paragraph…

“The Royal Mint is currently in the process of redesigning a number of medals to display the image of King Charles III which could lead to delay for those eligible for a bar.”

I have learned from another platform, that West Midlands Police, are holding ceremony next week, during which 30 year bars will be awarded. Curious that these are available already despite the Royal Mint stating that there will be delays whilst they rectify the redesigning of effigy on a number of medals.

Further to this, would be interested to learn when the New Years honours medals, will be formally presented. I would assume that these medals had been struck prior to there announcement? 

1 hour ago, Megan said:

Most of the New Year Honours relate to orders whose design doesn't change as the monarch does, it's just BEMs, Royal Victorian Medals and the like which require a new obverse.

Does that mean do you think, that none change awards will be issued at an earlier date than those that require updating?
    I’m thinking of the King’s Police, Fire and Ambulance Medals, for example? 

Edited by bigjarofwasps

1 hour ago, Megan said:

Most of the New Year Honours relate to orders whose design doesn't change as the monarch does, it's just BEMs, Royal Victorian Medals and the like which require a new obverse.

BEM doesn't have an effigy. Just a cypher on the reverse. 

3 hours ago, Megan said:

You're quite right, Zulu_00. The cypher has already been designed, so they just need to mint them.

Police, Fire, and Ambulance medals will need new obverses. And my website will need updating!

The Royal Mint certainly don’t appear to be in any hurry!

The suspense is killing me 😱😂😂😂

West Midlands Police, had an award ceremony on Tuesday night (17th January), whereby 30 year bars were awarded. 

*LSGC’s were also presented. These medals bearing the E11R effigy, although when these officers physically qualified for their medals, I have not been able to confirm. 

E50A4358-0D90-4086-A21A-6D7A0B3D54C1.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
    On 20/01/2023 at 14:54, bigjarofwasps said:

West Midlands Police, had an award ceremony on Tuesday night (17th January), whereby 30 year bars were awarded. 

*LSGC’s were also presented. These medals bearing the E11R effigy, although when these officers physically qualified for their medals, I have not been able to confirm. 

E50A4358-0D90-4086-A21A-6D7A0B3D54C1.jpeg

Honestly surprised that there aren't more examples coming to light, given the amount of officers that surely must meet the criteria. I can only assume that delays at the Royal Mint, or indeed recipients waiting to see what the out come of the King's Coronation Medal, might be a factor. 

• 2 months later...