News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Police Long Service Medal & Bar........

Given the latest increase to the police service length, which will see Officers instead of retiring at their 30 year point, will now be working until their 60. This could well see Officers serving over 40 years before they retire. Double the amount of service required to qualify for their LSGC, perhaps consideration should be given to the possibility of adding a bar at the 40 year point, along the same lines as that of the military LSGC or indeed the Special Constabulary LSGC. 

lsgc 002.jpg

Perhaps this is a concept that will be considered at some point in the future, once it becomes more common for officers to achieve 40 years service. Especially when you consider that it took until 1951 before a regular Police LSGC was even considered in the first place!!!

Going off topic slightly, but remaining on the same subject it I  may, it appears that Officers who completed 20 years service but left the police before the qualification period was reduced from 22 years, aren't entitled to claim their medal retrospectively? There's one of the those Government petitions started by someone called John H Donaldson on the subject, it's only had a couple of signatures, but doesn't run out until September this year.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/125334

I think this is a problem for many medal issues.  Any police officer who retired in May 1951 (a month before the Police LS was instituted) would not get a medal. 

Good luck to Mr Donaldson but I think he won't be successful with his petition.  The thing is with all these issues if you open the flood gates just how far do you go back - to June 1951!

I noted that on the Spec Constab LS the bars are mounted with the last bar nearest the suspender - I have to admit I have never seen them that way around before (technically they are upside down as normally the first bar earned is fitted nearest the suspender).

Edited by Odin Mk 3

19 hours ago, Odin Mk 3 said:

I think this is a problem for many medal issues.  Any police officer who retired in May 1951 (a month before the Police LS was instituted) would not get a medal. 

Good luck to Mr Donaldson but I think he won't be successful with his petition.  The thing is with all these issues if you open the flood gates just how far do you go back - to June 1951!

How gutted would you be if you retired in May 1951!!! I still find it intriguing that it wasn't until 1951 that the concept of a Police LSGC was implemented!!  

I agree that Mr Donaldson will be disappointed, the very number of signatures on his petition speaks volumes.

What are peoples views on a  bar/clasp concept for the Police LSGC, is it a viable option? Maybe not now, but at some point in the future when if becomes a more regular occurrence? 

18 hours ago, MetPolice said:

I'll happily support 

Zeb

Don't mean to be a sceptic, I like the idea of the bar/clasp, but I don't think a government petition is the way forward. You need 100,000 signatures, before they'll even entertain the concept and 10,000 before they'll send you a letter like Metpolice's saying they won't entertain the idea, HOWEVER, I'm happy to give it a try on behalf of the forum, the only thing I ask is for at least 10 people on here to agree to support the idea, Metpolice is one so another 9 required. 

I think with the new conditions of service and graduate entries coming into Supt rank etc the chances of anyone completing even 20 years of service will be hard enough let alone 40!

5 hours ago, Craig said:

I think with the new conditions of service and graduate entries coming into Supt rank etc the chances of anyone completing even 20 years of service will be hard enough let alone 40!

So that's a no from Craig;) then.

Tongue in cheek as it might be, I think you might be right, as time goes by policing will become just something people do for a few years, just to put onto their CV's :(.

• 2 years later...
    • 3 years later...

Unconfirmed reports, are suggesting that rumours are abound, that a bar to the Police LSGC, may soon become a reality. Suggestions being that the criteria of award will

be every subsequent 10 years after the initial 20 year qualification period.

watch this space…..

(Source being a Home Counties CC’s blog….)

Edited by bigjarofwasps

The idea of additional bars to Police Loing Service medals is widely accepted, and I find it difficult to understand the (up until now) reluctance of the UK authorities to institute them. That said, my own force, the Western Australia Police, may have taken the concept a little too far! Below is the text of details I sent to Token Publishing for inclusion in the Medal Yearbook (since published) which illustrates the elaborate lengths which the State Government of Western Australia has gone to in recognising periods of Police long service:

WAPOL State LSGC Medal and bars.JPG

• 4 months later...
    On 22/04/2022 at 18:27, bigjarofwasps said:

Unconfirmed reports, are suggesting that rumours are abound, that a bar to the Police LSGC, may soon become a reality. Suggestions being that the criteria of award will

be every subsequent 10 years after the initial 20 year qualification period.

watch this space…..

(Source being a Home Counties CC’s blog….)

Well 5 months on, am still

unaware of any formal acknowledgment of any bars to the police award (or ambulance service, for that matter)

Although the fire service do appear to now be awarding it, although am yet to see any physical example(s). 

I may be missing something here, but what is it exactly that the fire service are awarding? Insofar as Government approved (By Royal Warrant) medals are concerned the fire service themselves award nothing. Unless its a "home grown" award for additional service. Or has the fire service long service & good conduct medal Royal Warrant been amended?

Dave.

1 hour ago, Dave Wilkinson said:

I may be missing something here, but what is it exactly that the fire service are awarding? Insofar as Government approved (By Royal Warrant) medals are concerned the fire service themselves award nothing. Unless its a "home grown" award for additional service. Or has the fire service long service & good conduct medal Royal Warrant been amended?

Dave.

The Fire Service have been awarded a bar for 30 & 40 years additional service  to their Long Service and Good Conduct Medal. 

https://fireengland.uk/sites/default/files/2022-03/Fire Royal Warrant LSGCM.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0wx18puzpbfmBO12K8A2A3K0hsTEwbDqtlUwYPFqytK1AUhOLSli7JlUM

The Police and Ambulance where supposed to be getting the same, but as yet there has been no formal acknowledgment….

E80AC157-845E-44C1-BC70-FE78E9CAFF02.jpeg

507BF523-A78B-42B5-92F1-7C9DB1502ADF.jpeg

Edited by bigjarofwasps

I fear one day this medal may be seldom awarded, what with recruitment and retention issues. Who am I to say, however, it just seems like this is a long time in the job of the modern day.

Without overtaking another thread, while this one is still 'warm' and has attention - I really do wonder when and if the emergency services (and others possibly) will be awarded the promised Covid response medal and what the criteria would be.

1 hour ago, I_♥_Police said:

I fear one day this medal may be seldom awarded, what with recruitment and retention issues. Who am I to say, however, it just seems like this is a long time in the job of the modern day.

Without overtaking another thread, while this one is still 'warm' and has attention - I really do wonder when and if the emergency services (and others possibly) will be awarded the promised Covid response medal and what the criteria would be.

I fear you may well be correct, with regards the award of the medal in general let alone the proposed bars. I am trying to obtain confirmation, one way or the other as to whether these are to be awarded to the police?

With regards to the proposed Covid medal, I suspect that idea was shelved long ago, the fact that nothing has materialised speaks volumes.  We’re even less likely to see it now. Covid is but a distant memory, the cost of living crisis and war in Ukraine have seen to that…..