News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Masonic material in the US

Nack

I have never seen medals, jewels, or anything of the sort for sale here in the US. I see Knight's Templar swords around, and aprons here and there, but thats it. I've personally never encountered medals/etc in the craft here either--are masonic medals more of a British thing?

Hello Nack

Just as Freemasonry is spread throughout the world, so are its medals and jewels.

Firstly, let me draw a distinction between the two: a medal (to Freemasons) is a piece struck to commemorate a certain event or its anniversary, and resembles a coin, whereas a jewel is intended to be worn and will indicate the wearer's Masonic rank, membership of a certain Lodge, support for a particular fundraising cause or to commemorate an event.

As such, there are many medals and jewels. The majority of jewels would appear to be from English Constitution Lodges, although there are many American ones too (see a popular internet auction site for examples). However, most medals would appear to be from mainland Europe, being struck in the 18th and 19th Centuries. Interestingly, one of the earliest books to be written about them was by an American numismatist, WTR Marvin, in 1880.

WM5806

I find the differences between the various countries very interesting! I've been Mason for 30 years and a past master for 24 and I have never seen anyone, except for a past grand master, wearing a jewel after they retired from office. If you look in the many US catalogs from the Masonic supply companies they are filled with past master's jewels, yet I've never seen one actually worn.

Now I have to admit, I'm not very widely travelled and perhaps they're popular in some states more than others. My home lodge is in Georgia and I've never seen a Georgia past master wearing a jewel. Past master rings are extremely popular, but, at least in Georgia, not the jewels. Perhaps one reason, I don't really know, is that these jewels are always made of gold or are gold plated. Under the Masonic Code of Georgia only grand lodge officers may use gold, all subordinate lodge officers must use silver. I've never seen a past master's jewel in a catalog in silver.

I find the differences between the various countries very interesting! I've been Mason for 30 years and a past master for 24 and I have never seen anyone, except for a past grand master, wearing a jewel after they retired from office. If you look in the many US catalogs from the Masonic supply companies they are filled with past master's jewels, yet I've never seen one actually worn.

Now I have to admit, I'm not very widely travelled and perhaps they're popular in some states more than others. My home lodge is in Georgia and I've never seen a Georgia past master wearing a jewel. Past master rings are extremely popular, but, at least in Georgia, not the jewels. Perhaps one reason, I don't really know, is that these jewels are always made of gold or are gold plated. Under the Masonic Code of Georgia only grand lodge officers may use gold, all subordinate lodge officers must use silver. I've never seen a past master's jewel in a catalog in silver.

Same here in Ohio--lots of PM rings, but no jewels. Thanks for the info though guys.

• 2 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

Here in the Northeast antique group shops always seem to have a number of what I can only assume ARE such lodge related items, sprinkled among cases full of jewelry and the like.

Being ignorant of the symbolism and what the quote-unquote value and age would be, have never done more than admire the workmanship and quality.

Some years back in my pre-computer days, I did own a WW1 New England medals group which contained a CLEARLY maker marked and name-engraved American Masonic WW1 war service medal from a ribbon, but afraid I no longer remember the details. I believe it was partly enamelled and bore the mark of one of our local silversmiths or good "costume" jewelry makers from up here.

Hey Guys,

Being fairly new to the Masonic brotherhood (MM 12/04... following my father's and grandfather's footsteps) I can only add a few comments. My Grandfather was WM of his lodge in 1921 in Pennsylvania and I have his cased jewel. To my knowledge he never wore it outside of the lodge.

Most of the Masons that I know wear only their ring ??.

With the Brits (I work very closely with my London office every day so the word ?Brits? was only meant with kind regards?..) I think British History and tradition revolves much more around ?pomp and circumstance? than we do here in the USA. When our UK office has their Christmas party.. they all wear tuxedos (which they own and do not rent)? Here? we are lucky if we can get the guys to wear freakin jackets !

If you look at the Veteran?s get together in the UK? they are all wearing their medals?. I can?t even remember the last time I saw any US veteran wear anything other than their American Legion cap.

One of these days?..I?ll get back over to London?. And on my list of ?things I must see? will be to visit a few lodges !

Cheers

Mark

In the U.K. P.M.s jewels are never worn outside the Lodge,unless at a Masonic church service.The holder usually hands them back to the Lodge when attaining Provincial Rank.

Alan S 3714

True enough, although there are jewels other than those for service as Worshipful Master. One of the jewels I wear in the Craft degree is that to indicate I am a member of the Thomas Harper Lodge (No. 9612), as officially sanctioned by UGLE. During the summer I shall become a Founder member of another Lodge, entitling me to wear a Founder's jewel for that Lodge.

Although not seen very often these days, there is a specific jewel to indicate membership of the Quatuor Coronati Lodge Correspondence Circle (established in the late 19th Century) which, should I ever decide to join, I shall wear that one too. Similarly, when I am exalted into the Royal Arch, I shall be entitled (and encouraged) to wear the Companions' jewel.

When I attend my Mark Lodge, I wear the jewel of the Order, a Centenary jewel for my Mark Lodge and the jewel to indicate membership of the Honourable Fraternity of Royal Ark Mariners. There is a further jewel being issued later this year to mark (no pun intended) the 150th Anniversary of Mark Grand Lodge.

So, there are quite a few jewels in English Freemasonry, but not nearly so many are worn these days as in the late 19th and early 20th Centuries - see some of my previous posts on this board.

Kind regards

Edited by wm5806

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen a number of USA state lodge war service medals. There are even Orange Lodge medals and ribbons too-although the ones I have seen are old and from small villages I have never even heard of before.

Here is an American one my cousin sent me:

A New Hampshire Masonic veteran's medal. Pity I do not have his particulars....

You never know with the American Brethren that are also active on this board!

Alternatively, the Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of the State of New Hampshire have their own website with a 'Contact Us' page, by which means you may be able to get information on the original recipient.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Kind regards

WM5806

• 1 year later...

...and here is a 50 year gong from the Grand Lodge in Massachusetts- (a legacy of the British troops occupation of 1774 no less). This recipient joined in the AEF and took his first degree in a military Lodge in France.

• 3 months later...

This jewel (also U.S.A. I believe) looks very old, but unfortunately I have no information about it.

The S&C with a moon is, I think, a Junior Deacon's collar jewel. However, I may be wrong and it may be a Senior Deacon's.

Any American Brother wish to set the record straight?

Some of the very early Lodges in England used the sun and moon (without S&C) to denote a Deacon, this was replaced by Hermes/Mercury (in use around the beginning of the 19th century). Finally, the Deacon's dove came into use with (I think) the Union of the Antients and Moderns in 1813.

Certainly it is easy to understand why Hermes/Mercury was used (messenger of the Gods), just as the dove was a messenger to Noah, but not sure of the origins of the sun and moon to denote the Deacons.

Richard

I have a few items of mine. I've never taken photos so I can't post them now. If interest is present I can take pics. I'm a member of Albert Pike Lodge 714 as well as a member of the Scottish and York Rite. I'm embarrassed to admit I haven't been active for some time but I have two young boys so I don't get out much.

Here's a Knight's Templar watch fob that I found an image of on the internet. I love it and saved this because its similar to mine except mine doesn't have a skull but instead has a knight's helmet.

I'm a big fan of skull and crossbones

The S&C with a moon is, I think, a Junior Deacon's collar jewel.
    :beer:

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-4119.html

<h2 class="article-h2">Junior Deacon</h2> The Junior Deacon sits to the right of the Senior Warden, guarding the door to the lodge. He is the messenger of the Senior Warden, as well as the lodge "doorman." It is his job to be certain the Tyler is guarding the door on the outside, and he allows visitors to enter, after they've been properly vouched for. He and the Tyler communicate with each other by knocking back and forth on either side of the closed door.

Some jurisdictions split up this position into the Junior Deacon and an Inner Guard.

The Junior Deacon's jewel of office is the square and compass, like his senior counterpart. The difference is that the Junior Deacon's jewel has a moon in the center, signifying that he is in the west.

Here's a Knight's Templar watch fob that I found an image of on the internet. I love it and saved this because its similar to mine except mine doesn't have a skull but instead has a knight's helmet.

I'm a big fan of skull and crossbones

The reverse side is a "Mark" keystone.

Alan 5683

The reverse side is a "Mark" keystone.

Alan 5683

The Mark degrees are of British origin, and have no connection with the Hautes Grades of the Continent.

To according with Grand Lodge of Mark Master Masons constitution , Jewel of The Order is " Keystone with silver Lewis".

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

LEWIS

http://www.standrew518.co.uk/home.htm

This technical word has several explanations.

1. An instrument in Operative Masonry. It is an iron cramp or clamp which is inserted in a cavity prepared for that purpose in any large stone, so as to give attachment to a pulley and hook whereby the stone may be conveniently raised to any height and deposited in its proper position. It is well described by Gibson,in the British Archeologia (volume x, page 127), but he is in error in attributing its invention to a French architect in the time of Louis XIV and its name to that monarch- The contrivance was known to the Romans, and several taken from old ruins are now in the Vatican. In the ruins of Whitby Abbey, in England, which was founded by Oswy, King of Northumberland, in 658, large stones were discovered, with the necessary excavation for the insertion of a lewis. The word is most probably derived from the old French levis, any contrivance for lifting. The modern French call the instrument a louve.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

In U.S.A. and Canada keystone represent Royal Arch.

Edited by Buterbrodov