News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Iron Crown

I can add a "Kleine Dekoration" for the 1st class just with "Kriegsdekoration" but without swords:

0087 EKO 3. mit Kleindekoration 1. Kl. + KD avers 600dpi.jpg

And one for the peacetime "Kleine Dekoration":

0009-Eiserne Krone III. Kl. Frieden+Kleindek. GrK - avers.jpg

Both 3rd classes are gold.

Regards

Christian

Edited by Christian1962

Here just for interest a 2nd class with 2nd award laurel wreath. It´s a purchase from the famous Fattovich collection which was sold some years ago. It´s an early Rothe collectors copy in gold:

0098-EKO 2. Kl. mit KD u. Schw. zum 2. Mal avers.jpg

Edited by Christian1962

Also these old copies made by Rothe are of a sure, historical interest. Some "special" pieces, were expressely made on special order, done by Prof. Fattovich, like this one. He wanted it with a "thicker" laurel wreath, but Messrs. Rothe had this one only, amongst their original dies. This piece is excellently finished (Lot n. 106, from June 11th 2015 sale of the collection's 1st part, if I remember correctly). I know one futher piece "für wiederholte Verleihung" made by Rothe as a copy, but it's made of gilt bronze and not so well finished/enameled.

To remain in the theme of the 2nd award types, I would like to post the pictures of a pre-1918 Militärverdienstkreuz II Classe/KD/Schwerter with its typical, thick wreath, indicating the repeated award.

The "Fattovich Connection" of this piece is in the fact that I am deeply indebted to his and his wife's unforgettable friendship, if I have been able to acquire this piece for my collection, then moving its early steps...

MVK-II 2mal Avers.JPG

MVK-III 2mal Revers.JPG

Edited by Elmar Lang

Dear Enzo,

your Militärverdienstkreuz is a really desiderable and beautiful piece - congratulations!

I purchased some pieces out of the Fattovich collection, esp. breaststars and "Kleine Dekorationen" for rare Leopoldorden decorations. Most of them are in Mericka´s book from 1974. It´s fun for me to own them in spite most of them are Rothe collector´s copies from the sixties.

Regards

Christian

Thank you. Yes, case by Old-Austria/Austria-Hungary became a big plus in last years but Enzo´s MVK2/KDS double awarded is really something! One of the rarest decoration of AH phaleristics, just 5 times awarded in the course of WW1. Splendid! 

16 minutes ago, tifes said:

Thank you. Yes, case by Old-Austria/Austria-Hungary became a big plus in last years but Enzo´s MVK2/KDS double awarded is really something! One of the rarest decoration of AH phaleristics, just 5 times awarded in the course of WW1. Splendid! 

Yes, it´s quite rare. It was awarded six (not five) times, here is the list:

PVBl. 35/1918 vom 27.02.1918, A. h.E. vom 20.02.1918 – Präs. 5.800 vom 21.02.1918:

Vidossich Rudolf, Oberst, ük. im GAR 3, Kdt. einer Infanteriebrigade

PVBl. 141/1918 vom 12.08.1918, A. h.E. vom 03.08.1918 – Präs. 27.619 vom 05.08.1918:

Hrozny Edler von Bojemil Josef, Fmlt., Kdt. einer Infanteriedivision

Puchalski Stanislaus von, Fmlt., Kdt. einer Infanteriedivision

PVBl. 151/1918 vom 24.08.1918, A. h.E. vom 15.08.1918 – Präs. 29.438 vom 18.08.1918:

Le Beau Aurel, Fmlt., Kdt. einer Infanteriedivision

Bardolff Dr. iur. Karl, Fmlt., Kdt. einer Infanteriedivision

PVBl. 200/1918 vom 09.11.1918, A. h.E. vom 31.10.1918 – Präs. 40.112 vom 02.11.1918:

Soos von Badok Karl, GM

Kindest

Christian

Amazing ,rare and very desirable orders

The laurel of the 2nd class is something I was not aware off Thank you for sharing them with us and the information you have given us Also the box/case for the #rd Class with the "Kleine' Decoration" is amazing

I wish I had more Austrian awards, They are one of the most handsome ones My collecting interest is in other areas

Regards

• 10 months later...
    5 hours ago, fienx001 said:

This is a good resource. What is the name of this book, and the ISBN?

All 9 books (3 series of two books each) in English (available also in German, of course):

https://www.abebooks.com/book-search/author/christian-ortner-georg-ludwigstorff/

Iron Crown Order is in the Part I (2nd book)

Edited by tifes