News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

HOH3X Hero From The World Of Silent Children

Guest Rick Research

Herbert Wilhelm Mathiscik's medal bar (ribbon bar not scanned, pinback awards not in group)

Guest Rick Research

Closeup of his very nice "938 W" marked HHOX sandwiched between his EK2 and 2-ring type Hamburg Hanseatic Cross:

This Order was hazetted in the Milit?r-Wochenblatt issue of 11 July 1918, as Oberleutnant der Reserve.

Guest Rick Research

Before the war, he had been a Leutnant der Reserve in Infantry Regiment 150:

An East Prussian of Polish descent in an East Prussian regiment, there was no apparent wartime connection with Hamburg, so he may have been serving in some completely different war unit.

Guest Rick Research

And how do the current owner--with whose permission today's scans by me are posted-- and I KNOW that this was Mathiscik's medal bar?

Random survival of documentation.

Only weeks before the war, deaf and dumb school teacher/Leutnant der Reserve

Herbert Wilhelm Mathiscik of Bahnstra?e 73 joined the K?nigsberg Kriegerverein-- effective 1 June, 1914

Guest Rick Research

Mathiscik (note his name is spelled incorrectly here) was still teaching deaf and mute children when he joined the Kyffh?userbund in 1922:

Only his civilian profession is listed here:

Guest Rick Research

In 1930 Hauptmann der Reserve aD and just plain "teacher" Mathiscik (note name has been spelled wrong again) received the Kriegerverein Honor Cross 1st Class, a pinback white enamelled version of the huge ugly gray THING hung awkwardly from a white and black laddered ribbonfound on 1920s medal bars.

Regulations stated that no more than 1 in 10 local veterans chapter members could hold the 2nd Class, or 1 in 100 the 1st Class.

And here we end what little is known about Herbert Wilhelm Mathiscik, middle-aged war hero, and teacher of children linked to an alien world only by their eyes and minds--and the instruction of a man who had seen and known things he could never communicate to them.

Rick, you are a POET and a scholar. I read your closing graph in a Rod Serlingesque voice and it sent chills down my spine! I wonder how those blind from birth conceive of mass destruction when they can only guess at the appearance of objects and structures intact.

Rgds

Edited by Luftmensch

• 3 years later...
    Guest Rick Research

Because Research Gnomes never forget-- thanks entirely to Glenn's herculean labours :cheers::jumping: in indexing the war years of the Milit?r Wochenbl?tter ( :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1: ) I have found promotion to Oberleutnant der Reserve 26 November 1915 in the MWB of 4 December 1915:

So he was still in Inf Rgt 150 at the end of 1915.

More... when discovered. :catjava:

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Research gnomes! Research gnomes! Woof woof woof !!!!! :jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping:

:cheers:

PS :jumping:

Guest Rick Research

There is some sort of biographical/career data base on German teachers online somewhere, from which I hope more can be learned. Given the perpetual errors in spelling his name, he might not be alphabetized correctly.

Daniel told me that from the WW1 history of IR 150, Mathiczik was the commander of the 3rd Machine Gun Company most of the war, and was mentioned early on as needing a bigger horse on mobilization. Apparently he was a big man.

No word yet on his dog's name.